Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

I have a CA state tax lien posted on my credit last week. The

I have a CA state tax lien posted on my credit last week. The interesting part is that I was never notified about this and never received any letters for CA state mentioning that I owe the state any taxes. The last time I worked in Cali was in 2009 for 3 months. After that I have lived in Texas. I was surprised that even though my address was forwarded I never received any mail from the state. As a result of this tax lien being posted on my credit, my score has plunged more than 100 points and it ruins our plan to buy our first house. What are my options for getting this removed? I read somewhere that this stays on credit for 7-10 years. I don't want this amount which is less than 2k to ruin my credit which I have worked hard to maintain over the years. The question is why didn't the state contact me about back taxes and why after 3-4 yrs it has posted this on my credit? I need possible options to get this cleared out.

Thanks in advance.

Anne :

Hi

Anne :

Thank you for using justanswer

Anne :

Your change of address generally expires after 1yr, which may explain why you never received any notification of a tax due or a lien

Anne :

The first thing you need to find out is WHAT the tax is that is causing this lien on your credit report.

Anne :

http://www.taxes.ca.gov/pastduebus.shtml

Anne :

is a good place to start

Anne :

Unfortunately, getting the lien released is not what I call "user friendly"

Anne :

You must contact the credit bureau agencies directly to modify or to remove a lien from your credit bureau report.

Anne :

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/liens/liens.shtml#get_copy

Anne :

is a web site that lists all the counties, how to find out what the lien is for, and how to get it released once you have "settled" with the state of CA

Anne :

I understand that this is alot of steps........AND frustration

Anne :

I've been there.

Anne :

You may want to find out what the lien is for, see if you can settle with CA for the tax due and explain that since you moved and all of this must have taken place after your change of address had expired, see if they will cut their interest and any penalties.

Anne :

Another option would be to find an attorney that specializes in tax debt, but I'm not sure that the $ amount you owe is enough to justify the expense

Anne :

The best news, of course, would be that you really don't owe the tax.

Anne :

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I wrote letters to CA franchise tax board disputing my case. I also opened investigation with credit agencies but they came back negative i.e. they refused to remove the information from my report.