Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I just got a call telling me I won $385,000. They said the

I just got a call telling me I won $385,000. They said the taxes were all ready deducted. But before they could send the check I had to call you (the IRS) to notify them I would be receiving the check. They gave me a code to give you. Then once you got this code you would call them and they would send it to me by certified mail. The question I have for you is this phone number a real IRS number? XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
We are not the IRS and the # XXXXX submitted was X'd out.

Robin D :

I do have to say that the procedure of calling the IRS and submitting a code is unheard of by me. Normally the winner is asked to complete a W9 and the taxes are withheld and sent to the IRS as taxes paid. A 1099MISC would then be issued to the winner from company that was running the sweepstakes or lottery.

Robin D :

The IRS has a lot of phone numbers though so if you still feel this is a legitimate contest that you know you entered at some point, then you can call the general IRS line 1-800-829-1040 and ask about the phone number.

Robin D :

You see Just Answer X's out e-mail addresses and phone numbers here for privacy and because experts and Just Answer customers are not allowed to contact each other away from the Just Answer site.

Robin D :

I hope this has been helpful but please let me know.

Robin D :

I am checking the IRS site now for known scams with this MO

Customer:

thanks

Robin D :

No problem.

Robin D :

Did you remember having entered this lottery or contest?

Customer:

no. maybe? I'm not sure.

Robin D :

If you do not remember it is possible that it is a scam. I did find one that sounds like yours but these things change as fast as the law gets to know about them.

Robin D :

The scheme: the scammer often leaves a message typically asking consumers to call what appears to be an ordinary long-distance telephone number to confirm a lottery prize, or to get information about a relative who has been injured in an accident. In each case, you are told to call the number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return the calls. Once the number is XXXXX the scam artist will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you might find that you’ve been charged $2500 per minute.

Robin D :

Did you look up the area code? What is it

Customer:

he called me

Robin D :

I mean the number you were told to call

Robin D :

The possible IRS #

Customer: (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Robin D :

I will check on teh IRS site, one sec

Robin D :

That number came up a Blank on the official IRS.gov site

Robin D :

That is a Washington state area code

Customer:

The IRS sent me to a person who said the would connect me to the department who could help me the when i went there they said the were too busy at this time and to try again tomorrow then hung up. the phone

Customer:

humm

Robin D :

Let me see if there is a local office near you that accepts walk ins or calls, one sec

Robin D :

California has many so please look to this page and pick the city nearest you
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-My-Local-Office-in-California

Robin D :

The info on their office hours is there to

Customer:

thank you

Robin D :

My pleasure

Robin D :

I hope it's legit but I do not think so

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Your question was so interesting I could not stop researching. Unfortunately I found the following:
"Scam, Michael XXXXs called from a 972-XXX-8224 telling me I won $375,000 And to call IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNNcalled the number & it sounded fake, they want me to buy an insurance for $3000 before they can send me the check."

I just thought I should pass that along to you.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor