Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

If I owed state taxes in California. I moved to Nevada, would I still have to pay the Cali

If I owed state taxes in California. I moved to Nevada, would I still have to pay the California state taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

When you say that you owed state taxes in California, what exactly do you mean?

Stephen G :

Are the taxes due on a prior year's return, or do you owe taxes for a period that you haven't filed a return for as yet?

Stephen G :

OK, I see that you are under an installment agreement.

Stephen G :

California can institute collection efforts in Nevada if you fail to live up to the terms of your installment agreement.

Stephen G :

However, if you do not have any property left in California it will be a lot more difficult for them to collect the tax if you default on your agreement. These things have a way of popping up later on, sometimes many years go by & then you will owe additional penalties and interest and of course the installment agreement will be terminated.

Stephen G :

You should try to live up to your agreement, to avoid problems down the road including a negative impact on your credit rating.

Stephen G :

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Customer:

Thank You for the helpful advice.

Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience: Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues