How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,I lived in NJ-state till January 2012. Moved for

This answer was rated:


I lived in NJ-state till January 2012. Moved for 6 Month into NY-state till June 2012.

Since July 2012 I stay only in a Hotel cross over the USA. My employer is based in NJ-state.

I like to move to Florida what I and what my employer has to do? Please explane in detail.

MyVirtualCPA : Hello and welcome
MyVirtualCPA : if you perform your work in Florida and that is your residence, you will not owe tax to other states.
MyVirtualCPA : So, to get situated in Florida you would need a place to live, to register your cars there must show that is the place you intend to live
MyVirtualCPA : as far as your employer goes, they would update you in their system and stop withholding state payroll taxes.

What form I have to fill and what my company has todo?


BECAUSE: they mean they have to open a business there ... ?


how the "system" called ?


Iam from germany and new in those tax business. ...


I live in the hotels since a year and have a mail address in FL (no postbox).

Iam a programmer traveling about 230days a year cross the USA and be 30days in europe.


what will be the best option?


my curent address was in NJ

MyVirtualCPA : You will fill out the New Jersey w-4 to indicate you are a non resident

what that means? non residence of usa or NJ?

MyVirtualCPA : New Jersey
MyVirtualCPA : You are a resident of the US for tax purposes

what for tax I have tp pay?


none state tax?

MyVirtualCPA : If you are a Florida resident you pay only federal taxes



what my company has to do


they mean they must open a business there


thats bullshit I guess

MyVirtualCPA : No they don't have to open a business there
MyVirtualCPA : they can simply pay you

where can I read about it ? is there a information form?

MyVirtualCPA : What would you like to read about?

I want approve it and to show my "smart" account manager he is wrong


so all I have to do - fill out W-4 form ... register a address change DL and bank account address etc ...


all they have to do - take me out from the system



MyVirtualCPA : That is correct but I don't know of a form that would say all that

was my guess

MyVirtualCPA : I am sorry

so very simple ....


thanks for now

MyVirtualCPA : Yes people work in other states all the time
MyVirtualCPA : If you would please take a moment to rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

yes of couse

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.