Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

My tax return keeps being rejected. I am 23 and am doing my

My tax return keeps being rejected. I am 23 and am doing my first tax return. I enter "0" into the area for the prior year pin. But it still isn't working. They want last years PIN but I don't have one since I have never filed before! Please help, they don't ever answer their phones.

Anne :

Hi

Anne :

Thank you for using justanswer.

Anne :

I'm sorry that you have experienced so much frustration

Anne :

especially when you're filing for the first time

Anne :

Normally, your 5 digit pin # XXXXX XXXXX that is selected by you

Anne :

(for example, your zip code, or any other 5 digit # )

Anne :

However, the IRS will issue you a temporary pin #

Anne :

you may either contact them via phone at 1-866-704-7388.

Anne :

or on their web site at Electronic Filing Pin-Help

Customer:

I have followed that, and it wants my last years tax info. I have been working for years and have never done my past tax returns. I just wanted to try and start doing them but it won't help me. Also they won't answer their phones.

Anne :

Obviously your last year's AGI will be $0

Anne :

Can you wait a minute ....I want to check on something

Customer:

ya it says my agi doesn't match what they have on their records. And yes take your time.

Customer:

hello?

Anne :

sorry

Anne :

I'm back

Anne :

Here's what it says to do if you're a first time filer

Anne :

If a 2010 tax return was not filed, what amount should be entered the Prior Year AGI or prior year PIN?

Enter “0” (zero) for the original Prior Year AGI. Do not leave this field blank. However, the Prior Year PIN/Electronic Filing PIN field should be left blank.

Anne :

I know it references 2010, but the law hasn't changed

Anne :

if you've already tried all of this...........your next bet is to call the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

I have tried that before, I'm pretty confused on why it wouldn

Customer:

t work

Anne :

You've put a $0 in for last year's AGI, and left the pin # XXXXX

Anne :

then your next thing to do is call IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Anne :

Worse case secnario would be that you would have to mail in your return

Anne :

Although the wait will be a little longer, since you're filing after tax season, the time SHOULD be shorter that the 6-8 weeks we tell people during tax time

Anne :

can you please tell me why you gave me a poor rating?

Anne :

since this is how we get paid?

Anne :

was it because you didn't LIKE the answer or was it because you had already tried all of this

Anne :

your question only stated that you put a 0 for the pin but you mentioned nothing about putting a $0 for last year's AGI

Anne :

I truly want to help you

Anne :

there was a time when ALL first time filers had to mail in their returns just to get in the IRS system

Customer:

You deserve a good rating, I'm sorry I am just frustrated that it's not working. I went ahead and changed the rating. I hope it's not to late to change my rating. Thank you for helping me. :)

Thank you for the excellent rating.

I've been in the business a long time (27 years) and I know how frustrating it can be trying to get the correct information

Please bookmark this page, since you may ask as many follow up questions re: this matter as you need to at no further charge