Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
20877915

Im a lawyer and I paid $85 to attend a CPA association installation

I'm a lawyer and I paid $85 to attend a CPA association installation dinner event. What type of business expense should this be? Meals & entertainment? Or something else?
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information that you have provided.

Given the fact that this sounds like a dinner party rather than a continuing education event or some other professional association gathering, meals and entertainment sounds like the most appropriate classification for this expense.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks for your business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an installation dinner event for networking purposes and my company is a S corp, for your reference.

Also, how are other expenses related to professional association meetings handled differently? Please provide examples.

Thank you.

Really, the only situation where the dinner I might treat the expense differently is if the dinner was included as part of a CPE or CLE event. In the case I would classify it as a miscellaneous expense for continuing education.

Let me know if this helps