How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10149
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a married couple, I am working fulltime earning $95000

This answer was rated:

We are a married couple, I am working fulltime earning $95000 a year my wife doesn't work now and just turned 62. she has filed for social security and will receive benefits starting in September. Do we need withhold taxes from her SS monthly check? or can I adjust my withholding from my payroll to cover our tax liability without incurring a penalty for not withholding funds from her monthly check?

NPVAdvisor :


NPVAdvisor :

You can have it withheld from her check, let me get you the form

NPVAdvisor :

you will need to:


will we suffer a penalty if we just have her check direct deposited to a bank account we share and I adjust my withholding at my job to cover the income increase? my worry is a penalty and estimated tax payments vs. me just withholding more out of my weekly paychecks?

NPVAdvisor :

You could do that, as well ... If you simply deducted 25% (as this is on top of the income you are already receiving), you should be v,ery safe

NPVAdvisor :

  • 10% on taxable income from $0 to $17,850, plus

  • 15% on taxable income over $17,850 to $72,500, plus

  • 25% on taxable income over $72,500 to $146,400, plus

  • 28% on taxable income over $146,400 to $223,050, plus

  • 33% on taxable income over $223,050 to $398,350, plus

  • 35% on taxable income over $398,350 to $450,000, plus

  • 39.6% on taxable income over $450,000.

NPVAdvisor :

Thoswe are the tax brackets for married filing jointly

NPVAdvisor :

But, yes having it withheld from your paycheck will work as wel

NPVAdvisor :

either option is paying the tax on an ongoing basis, so no problems with underpayment or estimated, and if you file jointly, it's all based on the total household income'(so withholding from either resource has the same effect)


her payments are $1169 a month, my income is roughly $8000 a month. currently filing married withholding 6. own a house with mortgage payments and interest deduction. we file married jointly with itemized deductions and average about $1300 in yearly income tax return...

NPVAdvisor :

If you'll look at the tax brackets above, you're at 110,000 total, so even with deductions, you're probably still squrely in the 25% bracket ... So withholding 25% of that additional income (that incremental 1169/mo) either through withholding the 25% option from her check or adding that amount (divided by 12, if you're paid monthly) on you're W-4 at work will have the effect of offsetting the extra check

NPVAdvisor :

so as long as you have 292 a month wiithheld from either resource the effect will be the same


fantastic. thank you for your answers. you have provided a thorough explanation.

Lane and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks so much for the rating!

Just to be sure you saw that last post.

for withholding from her check (and thias should be mailed to Social Security)

And witholding from your wages at work.

You can simply have an additional specific amount added by using line 6 on your work W-4 where it says: " Additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck"

Thanks again,

Related Tax Questions