Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Are travel expenses to perform missionary work ie building

Are travel expenses to perform missionary work ie building houses in Mexico a tax deductable contribution.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Provided that the organization is qualified...yes, travel expenses incurred for charity work are tax deductible.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can read more about this topic, here: http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/2012/04/16/deducting-travel-expenses-when-doing-charitable-work/

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
If you undertook the mission trip on behalf of a religious organization or a qualified 501(c)(3) organization and that there was no significant element of personal pleasure or recreation to the trip, you may generally deduct the travel expenses whether paid directly or indirectly.
You will show this expense on your Schedule A as a Charitable Contribution.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for requesting me directly. It will be my pleasure to work with you tonight.

I had an answer in our live chat, but we had some technical difficulties, and it did not show up. I apologize for that.

If you are working with a church or other qualified organization, you can deduct the cost of travel as a charitable deduction. Keep detailed records of your trip. If your trip was part charitable part personal only the portion of the trip that was for charity work could be deducted.

You can read more, here: CLICK HERE

Again, thanks for requesting me. Please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks!