How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Barbara Your Own Question

Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1781
Experience:  17+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son-in-law died 8 years ago leaving a wife, child and a

Customer Question

My son-in-law died 8 years ago leaving a wife, child and a business. My daughter gave up the business but knew she would probably owe VAT and tax. Up until last December the VAT people told her that they owed her £7,500, she told them that she probably owed the tax man about £8,500 so asked if they could offset these monies against any tax bill that she received. The VAT office were most insistent that she owed no tax so she cashed their cheque and repaid some other bills that she had. None of this is in writing it is all verbal. She has now been presented with a tax bill of £9,000 and has no monies to pay it. She has paid them £2,000 and is paying the rest of at £50 a month but she feels it is like a never ending debt as they keep adding interest. She owns her own house so has tried to get a loan against this house to pay off this bill but because she owes tax no one will lend her any money. I would be so grateful for any advice you can give on this situation.

Many thanks

Teresa Whitehead
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.


I'm sorry for the difficulty your daughter is having with paying the VAT tax bill. From my research, it seems the HMRC has done all that it is going to do regarding the amount owed by your daughter. Unfortunately, as you are probably well aware, HMRC is very strict with repayment of what is owed. Please see the following:


My only advice would be for your daughter to increase the monthly amount she is paying to compensate for the interest HMRC is charging and/or continue to try to borrow the money to pay this tax from other sources.


I am truly sorry that this is not the answer you and your daughter wanted to hear, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you the truth.


Thank you and best regards.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you read my query properly you would see that my daughter has paid her VAT bill in full, it is the fact that they stated that she owed no more tax to the tax man himself that is the problem, why then is she being persuade for £9,000 in tax ????

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Hi Teresa.


I apologize for misinterpreting your question. I was under the impression that your daughter was informed that she owed no tax, she believed that she did, she received a check from HMRC and cashed it, and then was informed she owed tax.


I would advise your daughter to visit the local HMRC office and explain the situation in full to the representative. At this point, it may be worth her time to have the entire situation reviewed, especially if it will result in reducing the amount of tax that she owes.


Thank you.

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Teresa.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer to you since that is an important part of being an expert on JustAnswer, and I strive for excellence.

Thank you and best regards.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience