Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

My son-in-law died 8 years ago leaving a wife, child and a

Customer Question

My son-in-law died 8 years ago leaving a wife, child and a business. My daughter gave up the business but knew she would probably owe VAT and tax. Up until last December the VAT people told her that they owed her £7,500, she told them that she probably owed the tax man about £8,500 so asked if they could offset these monies against any tax bill that she received. The VAT office were most insistent that she owed no tax so she cashed their cheque and repaid some other bills that she had. None of this is in writing it is all verbal. She has now been presented with a tax bill of £9,000 and has no monies to pay it. She has paid them £2,000 and is paying the rest of at £50 a month but she feels it is like a never ending debt as they keep adding interest. She owns her own house so has tried to get a loan against this house to pay off this bill but because she owes tax no one will lend her any money. I would be so grateful for any advice you can give on this situation.

Many thanks

Teresa Whitehead
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

I'm sorry for the difficulty your daughter is having with paying the VAT tax bill. From my research, it seems the HMRC has done all that it is going to do regarding the amount owed by your daughter. Unfortunately, as you are probably well aware, HMRC is very strict with repayment of what is owed. Please see the following:

My only advice would be for your daughter to increase the monthly amount she is paying to compensate for the interest HMRC is charging and/or continue to try to borrow the money to pay this tax from other sources.

I am truly sorry that this is not the answer you and your daughter wanted to hear, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you the truth.

Thank you and best regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you read my query properly you would see that my daughter has paid her VAT bill in full, it is the fact that they stated that she owed no more tax to the tax man himself that is the problem, why then is she being persuade for £9,000 in tax ????

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Hi Teresa.

I apologize for misinterpreting your question. I was under the impression that your daughter was informed that she owed no tax, she believed that she did, she received a check from HMRC and cashed it, and then was informed she owed tax.

I would advise your daughter to visit the local HMRC office and explain the situation in full to the representative. At this point, it may be worth her time to have the entire situation reviewed, especially if it will result in reducing the amount of tax that she owes.

Thank you.

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Teresa.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer to you since that is an important part of being an expert on JustAnswer, and I strive for excellence.

Thank you and best regards.