Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I recently filed my 2009 tax return, mailed it 6/3/13. When

I recently filed my 2009 tax return, mailed it 6/3/13. When I got a letter informing me that I had not filed that return, my tax due was calculated on filing single, 1 exemption. In fact , I was head of household with 2 exemptions which changed my tax owed from $4252 to $1562 plus penalties, etc. I then got a letter dated 7/8/13 which indicated they received my 1040A but the amount due did not reflect this change. Can you tell me why
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately the only one that can assist you with this problem is the IRS. You would be well advised to hire a tax professional to correspond with the IRS on your behalf as it relates to this issue.

MyVirtualCPA :

Basically, the IRS filed a "SFR" or substitute for return on your behalf and assessed tax accordingly

MyVirtualCPA :

The IRS must accept a tax return with your signature on it, so the IRS should process your return that you filed and adjust your tax

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, then you will need to contact them to determine why the changes were not made.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I will try call again

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry that I could not personally resolve your issue

MyVirtualCPA :

If satisfied with our communication, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer