Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I frequently donate items of value to Habitat for Humanity

I frequently donate items of value to Habitat for Humanity and other local charities. I know there is a $500. limit on these deductions per year. Is this $500. PER charity? Or can I donate $500. to 4 separate charities and take a $2,000. deduction.
Thank you for your question. There is not a limit of $500, rather once you reach $500 of donations you must file form 8283. The $500 threshold is total, so if you gave away $500 of items to two different organizations you would need to file form 8283 because your total deduction would be 1,000.
You can read more about this, here:
Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again for using and have a great day. Please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.