Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I remember a number of years ago hearing that if you are on

I remember a number of years ago hearing that if you are on vacation, and you have a job interview in your regular occupation, that many, if not nearly all vacation expenses can be used as tax deductions. Is this true, or still true? ..and if so how does one utilize this, and what are the limitations?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

I am unsure of what you have heard, but personal vacation expenses are not tax deductible.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can never deduct your personal vacation expenses

MyVirtualCPA :

However, if you do travel to an interview and your job hunting expenses are considered deductible then you could deduct the portion of that trip attributed to that interview

Customer:

Okay Thank you.

MyVirtualCPA :

There is a seven part test that will tell you if your job hunting expenses are tax deductible

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Job-Search-Expenses-Can-be-Tax-Deductible

Customer:

Proabley will not be helpful. I got an upcoming vacation coming in another part of the country, and my employer happens to have a facility in that area. Normal bidding process within the company is not permitted because it's another part of the country, but special consideration would be given to an out of state applicant already working for the same firm.

MyVirtualCPA :

If it's in the same line of work, your job hunting expenses could be deductible. Review the seven part test that I have provided. However, if you are just going to do an interview just to make your vacation deductible, I don't think that would count

MyVirtualCPA :

Any time that is spent on personal time, is not deductible

Customer:

Thank you for your time. Just thought I'd check in case it's something I could use later, but would require specific documentations that could be obtained by planning ahead, and asking ahead. Nothing lost. Nothing gained.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm glad I could be of assistance. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today