Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I am appointed the Executor of an Estate for my grandmother

I am appointed the Executor of an Estate for my grandmother and in the probate settlement, we applied for a tax id # XXXXX the probate attorney never gave me that number and in looking trough the endless paperwork there is a number 33-6113243 and I need to confirm that is the number I use to open the checking account for the Estate of XXXXXXX. My name isXXXXX passed away in 1990. Can u confirm this number for me or give me the information where I can go to get this confirmed?

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

Well, there are a couple of ways to go about this. First, I can tell you that the number you indicated has the correct number of digits for a Federal ID Number. Also, the prefix (33) is a valid prefix that is used by the IRS in its Philadelphia office. (Any IRS office, anywhere could have issued the number).

Stephen G :

Here's what the IRS says to do if you can't find the number:

Stephen G :

• child">Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(NNN) NNN-NNNN The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

Stephen G :

If there was a federal estate tax return filed, the ID number would be on that also.

Stephen G :

When the number is XXXXX a computer generated notice is sent out with the number.

Stephen G :

If there were any income tax returns filed for the estate, the number would be on those also.

Stephen G :

If you can't find the number on anything, the only place you can get it is from the IRS as noted above. You are the only one authorized to get it, as the Executor of the Estate.

Stephen G :

What's been going on for 23 years such that her estate is still open? There may be a federal ID number on something else.