Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

What are the rules about artists deductions for charitable

What are the rules about artist's deductions for charitable contributions to non-profits that are resold or auctioned by the non profit charity?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the deduction for goods that are resold or auctioned off by a nonprofit are limited to your cost basis in the items

MyVirtualCPA :

This means you can only deduct what you actually paid for the items

MyVirtualCPA :

Here's a link which outlines this tax treatment http://www.massnonprofit.org/expert.php?artid=1968

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please rate my response excellent so that I may receive credit for helping you today. I'm truly sorry that my answer was not favorable to you in this situation. Please note that ratings impact me personally, so if I am given a negative rating I am punished for my honesty.

Hello, Judy

I see you were unable to see our live Chat. Please take a moment to review my answer, then let me know if you have further questions by following up using the "reply" button below.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer