Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Can your employer change your tax withholdings without your

Can your employer change your tax withholdings without your knowledge or consent?
I am having no federal taxes being withheld and made no changes on my W-4.
If this is an error, how do I rectify this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

NO they may not.

Customer:

You should have them give you another W-4 and complete it

Customer:

Now, what you're doing COULD have the effect of an underpayment penalty by the IRS

Customer:

further IRS can require what's called backup withholding, but there would have to have been notice provided for that

Customer:

Here's the law:

Customer:

An employer can lawfully withhold amounts from an employee’s wages only: (1) when required or empowered to do so by state or federal law, or (2) when a deduction is expressly authorized in writing by the employee to cover insurance premiums, benefit plan contributions or other deductions not amounting to a rebate on the employee’s wages, or (3) when a deduction to cover health, welfare, or pension contributions is expressly authorized by a wage or collective bargaining agreement

Customer :

Backup withholding? I have received no such notice from employer.

Customer:

Right, so in that case they cannot

Customer:

See this from and IRS manual for employERS

Customer:
Like Print

Withholding Compliance Questions & Answers

Q1: In the past, as an employer, I was required to submit all Forms W-4 that claimed complete exemption from withholding (when $200 or more in weekly wages were regularly expected) or claimed more than 10 allowances. What Forms W-4 do I now have to submit to the IRS?
A1: Employers are no longer required to routinely submit Forms W-4 to the IRS. However, in certain circumstances, the IRS may direct you to submit copies of Forms W-4 for certain employees in order to ensure that the employees have adequate withholding. You are now required to submit the Forms W-4 to IRS only if directed to do so in a written notice or pursuant to specified criteria set forth in future published guidance.

Customer:

For your edification, here's the IRS web site on that:

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I have visited that site already on a google search.

Customer:

Sure, botXXXXX XXXXXne? YOU may only authorize withholding by writing... and the way you do that is through the w-4 form

Customer :

And the only W-4 I have completed is when I first started working for them.

Customer:

Did you see the link I provided/

Customer :

Yes. Thanks.

Customer:

I would print it take it to HR and say "Here's my W-4 ... looks like someone has changed my withholding without my authorization," etc.

Customer :

OK. The link is not working. Getting a 404 error.

Customer:

BUT, just to help you potentially see around some corners, the issue (probably stating the obvious) can creat some underpayment penalties... unless of course you have knowledge of other losses, or a change in income that will even things out for the year

Customer:

OK hang on just one second

Customer:

Form W-4

Customer :

ok

Customer:

Try that ... and if that doesn't work, here's the irs site where you can download it

Customer :

there we go...

Customer:

great

Customer :

I actually conppleted this earlier this week with that intent in mind.

Customer:

You might want to direct them to the IRS guidance for employers ... help them understand that this is between you and IRS

Customer:

Also, all the links here will stay active, if you want to bookmark to come back for reference

Customer :

So I suppose I can request all W-4 forms my employer has on record, correct?

Customer:

Absolutely, those are you instructions to them

Customer :

Very well, then.

Customer:

FYI, see the last question NO 13 on that employer manual:

Customer:

Q13: What if I don’t want to submit a Form W-4 to my employer?
A13: Your employer is required to withhold income tax from your wages as if you are single with zero allowances if you do not submit a Form W-4.

Customer:

They may try to claim that you neve filed one with them ... but copies of previous paystubs should put that one to bed

Customer :

Right.

Customer:

... just trying to think of anything tht may come up

Customer:

I think you have the extent of my wisdom :)

Customer: