Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

HI I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA AND I SEPARATED FROM MY HUSBAND AUG

HI I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA AND I SEPARATED FROM MY HUSBAND AUG 12 DO I NEED TO INCLUDE HIS INCOME ON MY TAX RETURN AS WE ARE NOT ON TALKING TERMS OR DO I JUST PUT IN THE DATES I HAD A SPOUSE AND THE ATO WILL CROSS REFERENCE

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Since you have a spouse for the tax year you are filing, you must include his name, date of birth, and sex on your tax return. You would fill in zero for his taxable income since I am assuming he will file his own tax return. You are correct--the ATO will then cross reference all of the information.

My point of reference is the following: http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2013/Tax-return/Spouse-details---married-or-de-facto/

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you. Please note, however, that I have appointments for the rest of the day and will be back online later this evening.

Thank you and best regards.

Hi, Jo.

Just a short note to thank you for the "excellent" rating. It is most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you.

Once again, thanks and best regards.

Barb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Barb

It's been my pleasure, Jo.