Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

HI, I am a US citizen living in California. I will be paying

Customer Question

HI, I am a US citizen living in California. I will be paying for my elderly mother's room and board in an assisted care facility. However she lives in Toronto Canada.
Can I get any tax deduction for supporting her?
What if I support her 50%, by splitting it with my brother (also in US)
Thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

According to IRS rules, a parent does not have to live with you to be claimed as your dependent and must be a resident of the U.S., Canada or Mexico. Your mom's gross income must be less than $3,800. Social security (if she receives it) does not count, but interest and dividends do.

Either you or your brother can claim your mom as a dependent--whoever provides more than 50% of her support.

My point of reference is Publication 17 as it pertains to dependents. The link for this publication is http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification on this.

Thank you and best regards.

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Jeff.

Just a short follow-up to find out if you were able to view my answer as well as rate my answer to you. The site has been experiencing difficulties, and if you are having a problem, please let me know. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer to you since that is an important part of being an expert on JustAnswer, and I strive for excellence.

Thank you and best regards.

Barb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I read your response.

My mother has income of $20K Canadian most of it is from the Canadian equivalent of Social Security, called:

Quebec Pension Plan and the Canada Old Age Pension.

Will these affect her eligibility as a dependent?

I couldn't find this in the reference you listed.

Thanks!

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

The primary criteria is that you would have to provide more than 50% of her support. Social Security (or its equivalent) does not come into play when figuring your mom's income.

Thank you.

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Jeff.

If you need further information or clarification, please let me know. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is an important part of being an expert on JustAnswer, and I strive for excellence.

Thank you and best regards.