Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

This is an Income Tax Question: Background: My wife and

This is an Income Tax Question:

Background: My wife and I are still waiting for a Federal Income Tax refund due us, for taxable year 2011. We filed an extension that year and completed the return on October 15, 2012. It was a joint return resulting in a net return due us of over $3,300.00. By tax day 2013 (April 15) we had not received the refund due us.

When we filed our 2012 return, due on April 15, 2013, we paid a substantial amount that was due of over $12,200.00, as a result of some taxable inheritance my wife received from her mom's estate. We DID NOT reduce the total due by the over $3,300.00 due us and not refunded to us for our 2011 tax. Therefore we are still due a refund of over $3,300.00 for 2011.

My Question: How do we go about getting the refund still due us for over-payment in taxable year 2011?

Your advice will be appreciated.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

The only way to check the status of your refund, and the only way to determine if something is going on is to call the IRS.

MyVirtualCPA :

Calling the IRS to check the status of your refund will not increase your audit risk.

MyVirtualCPA :

You will need to call 1-800-829-1040, select 1 for english, then select option 2, then select option 1, option 4, option 2

MyVirtualCPA :

This will get you routed to a person

MyVirtualCPA :

If you follow the prompts to check on the status of a refund, you will be taken to the automated system and may not get the response you need

I had a hunch that was the only way "face the dragon" head-on, It's just that in a previous life, I had a lot of audits with the IRS. Amazingly, it always went my way because they were impressed by my record keeping. But, I suppose your advice is the best course of action. Oh, by the way, I really appreciate your promt response. I let you know how I make out.

That's I'll let you know and THANK YOU!

MyVirtualCPA :

Please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting tyou today

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you so much for using and have a great day

Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to assist you. I see you dropped out of our chat and were having difficulties. Please take a moment to rate the response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks again for using It was a pleasure working with you today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear "My Virtual CPA,"

Of course you were and are "EXCELLENT!!!"

I'm sorry if my response did not go through back on July 1st.

Thanks, Bernie

I did get your rating, so all is well. Thanks again, and be sure to think of me next time you have a question.