Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

When I die and my home of 42 years is sold by my executor does

When I die and my home of 42 years is sold by my executor does the tax code require payment of capital gains tax on the difference between cost and current sale price? The gain is likely to be $900,000. My husband died two years ago. I live in So. California
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. No....upon your death, the basis of your house gets increased to its fair market value. Thus, when the house is sold for its fair market value, there is no gain and thus no tax. You need not worry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: