How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 27890
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nonresident alien wants to gift $600,000 (situated in USA)

Resolved Question:

Nonresident alien wants to gift $600,000 (situated in USA) to USA citizen spouse. What are gift/estate tax consequences?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Since the amount is coming from a Non U.S. citizen, there are no tax implications to the U.S. citizen, however, the U.S. citizen will need to complete a Form 3520 since the amount is more than $100,000. SEE BELOW:

Reporting Requirements

You must file Form 3520, Annual Return to Report Transactions with Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts, if, during the current tax year, you treat the receipt of money or other property above certain amounts as a foreign gift or bequest. Include on Form 3520:

  • Gifts or bequests valued at more than $100,000 from a nonresident alien individual or foreign estate (including foreign persons related to that nonresident alien individual or foreign estate);



Link to form 3520/instructions:


Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.


Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your answer is incomplete and not helpful. What are the tax consequences to the nonresident alien spouse? This is family money - although in a separate account controlled by the nonresident alien spouse- and preservation of principal is of concern. Is the gift a good idea vis-a-vis tax consequences?

Consider tax consequences for both spouses - perhaps it would be better to not make the gift and keep the money in a separate account in name of the nonresident alien spouse?

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
You wrote the following;

Nonresident alien wants to gift $600,000 (situated in USA) to USA citizen spouse. What are gift/estate tax consequences?


With all due respect, you were not specific as to who you were asking about relating to the gift tax consequences. There are no gift tax consequences to the nonresident alien in the U.S.. If there are gift tax consequences in Africa, that I cannot tell you. I am not familiar with Africa's taxation system.

As there are no tax consequences to either party on the U.S. end, the gift is a good idea from that stand point. The issue is whether or not the donor will be taxed in Africa, which again, I do not have the knowledge to answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These people are husband and wife, living in Kenya. Wife is USC. Money is in the USA, result of a real estate investment by the nonresident alien spouse of the USC. USA income tax has been paid. We are not concerned about taxes in Kenya. It looks like there may be a tax on the transfer (gift) in the USA by the nonresident alien of 41 to 45 %. Is this not true? Can the gift be made, ie, transfer the cash from Texas bank account to US citizen spouse's Ohio account without tax consequences? Please give IRS code citations supporting your answer.

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Again, with all due respect, you mentioned nothing about the money being the result of a real estate investment. As I need to leave the computer, I am unable to continue on with this matter, therefore I will release the question back into the queue so that someone else may assist you.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Different expert here. Please allow me to assist...
Here are several issues.
In the US - the gift is NOT a taxable income for the recipient - regardless of the value.

Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 31 (left column)-

Gifts and inheritances. In most cases, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income.
Gift taxes are assessed ti the donor - however if the donor is a nonresident alien - he/she is not under the US jurisdiction - and is not subject of gift tax regulations.
Nonresident aliens are only subject of US gift tax is a gifted property is a real or a personal property located in the US.
The gift tax return is filed using form 709 - see instructions page 3 - middle column - Nonresidents not Citizens of the United States -‎
Nonresidents not citizens of the United States are subject to gift and GST taxes for gifts of tangible property situated in the United States.
So far - in general - if the money are transferred from one bank account to another bank account in anticipation of the gift - for nonresident alien donor - that is NOT subject of US gift tax.
We need to clarify that a gift of cash by a nonresident alien could be a gift of US tangible personal property if the cash consists of currency (actual bills and coins). In this case - it will be subject of gift taxes, but in case of bank transfer - there is no gift tax liability.
Specifically for gift taxes - if you are looking for references to the US tax law - see here -
(a)(2) Transfers of intangible property
Except as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) shall not apply to the transfer of intangible property by a nonresident not a citizen of the United States.
Because the US citizens receives a gift from a nonresident alien - there are certain reporting requirements.
Gifts from non-resident aliens above $100,000 are also reported on the form 3520 - see part IV. There is no tax associated with this reporting.
See for reference this article which contains many references to the statute and court cases -
Let me know if you need any help.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 27890
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, LEV. Your's is the first answer to really address the issue. Just to be clear, you are saying there is no gift tax consequence if the US cash (proceeds of a one-time real estate sale, income tax return filed and tax fully paid) presently in a Texas bank account (separate property of the nonresident alien spouse) is transferred to a brokerage account of the US Citizen spouse located in Ohio. Both spouses live together in Kenya. No tax consequence for either?

If you have any further comment, fine. Otherwise I'll spend some time researching your citations. Thank you again for your thorough answer.

Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
That is correct - there is no gift tax consequence for the nonresident alien when cash gift is made via bank transfer (not actual bills and coins which may be considered as tangible property).
However a recipient of the gift who is a US citizen - is required to report a gift from a nonresident alien when the total value is above $100,000 on the form 3520.
There is no gift tax liability for either spouse.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience