Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

i just checked with a cpa accountant here regarding my situation,

i just checked with a cpa accountant here regarding my situation, but my accountant think different, so I would like to see the second opinion from other cpa accountants from here. It will help me to make the decision.

Basically I live and work in nyc, then I got married in Jan1st, 2012. My marriage certificate showing that i live in MA where my husband current house. Also my husband added me into the deed on this house as well. So it shows I'm resident of MA since Jan 1st 2012.

But i'm still working in NYC and subletting apt from my friend, I go back to Boston very often and my husband came to nyc once a while to be together.

But we do have a legal sublease with my friend between Apr 1st to Oct 31st, 2012, total about 6 months, before that and after that, we don't have lease with my friend, we just pay cash and rent it month by month as temporary. We decided to move into NYC after 2013, but it will take sometimes, as my husband put his house in the market, trying to sell, he wanted to sell the house first, then move to nyc, but the house has been market for over 1 and half, not sell yet.

I do pay new york state and new york city taxes in 2011, and before. But since we got married in Jan 1st 2012, we wanted to fill joining taxes together. and plus i'm MA resident.

So my accountant suggest:
1. pay joining taxes together to new york state
2. pay joint taxes together to MA state
3. we don't pay any taxes to new york city
4. we don't pay any taxes to NYC UBT and Metro taxes.

I checked an accountant here on website. She said since we had a lease for 6 months for an apt in nyc, then we were part of nyc resident, so we do own taxes to nyc.

So she suggest us to pay:
2. pay joint taxes together to MA state
3. pay joining taxes together to new york city (6 months)
4. Pay any taxes to NYC UBT and Metro taxes and others if any.

So I spoke to my accountant again about this, he said even we had sublease for 6 months in NYC, doesn't mean we are resident in NYC. Because we still have house in MA, we still are residents in MA, so that's no reason to pay taxes to NYC. He also said people who are not resident, but rent apt in nyc all the time, it doesn't mean they are part of resident in nyc and they won't pay taxes to nyc, will pay to new york state.

I'm so confusing, would you please give me another opinion. i don't mind to pay more taxes, all we care about is not to bring any trouble on taxes in the future. We wanted to pay whatever we need to pay. But my accountant told me should follow his suggestions, but now i got different suggestion from different accountant, so it would be great if anyone else here could give me another strong opinion that how to pay taxes that we won't have problems. thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The first step would be to determine if you are a resident of NY for tax purposes - and if you moved out of NY - you need to determine the date on which your residency changed. That is the first step. Based on your residency - you will determine which state to file income tax returns.

LEV :

The difference is - if you are a nonresident of NY - you are subject to tax on your New York source income. However - if you are a resident of NY - you are subject to tax on all your worldwide income.
Also nonresidents and residents are filing different tax forms.
You may file a joint federal tax return regardless of your residency.
If you are married and filing a joint federal income tax return but one spouse is a New York State resident and the other is a nonresident or part-year resident, you are required to file separate New York State returns.

Customer:

Here is my question. i got married in Jan 1st 2012, my marriage certificate showing I'm living MA with my husband. Also my husband added me into the deed of his house in MA. So for this two things that could proval that i'm a resident of MA. right?

LEV :

As you might know - each state have different rules for determine the residency. Based on your information - you are a resident of MA.
However - we also need to verify with NY rules...
You're a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:
•your domicile is New York State (see Exception below); or
•your domicile is not New York State but you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for more than 11 months of the year and spend 184 days or more in New York State during the tax year.

Customer:

Yes. we will fill joining taxes to new york state and MA state. but should we fill new york city taxes or not.

LEV :

So - the question to you - did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year?

Customer:

Because we had a 6 months sublease with my friend to his apt between Apr 1st to Oct 31st 2012, before Apr 1st and after Oct 31st, we don't have any lease with this apt, we just pay cash and rent the apt month by month.

Customer:

The accountant on this website said since we had a 6 months sublease on apt, then we own 6 months new york city taxes

LEV :

So far that fact may be treated as you DID maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year - correct?

Customer:

but my accountant said even we had 6 months sublease in nyc, we are still resident of MA, so don't need to pay to new york city, but pay new york state and MA.

Customer:

yes

LEV :

You replied - yes - correct?
Because you maintained a permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year - you are considered NY resident for tax purposes - and should file NY tax return as a resident.

Customer:

3:05 PM

3:06 PM

LEV :

I think we determined that you are a resident of NY - is that correct - or we need to determine that again?

Customer:

I'm MA resident after Jan 1st 2012, but i do work in nyc commercial real estate, i don't get salary, but only get commission.

LEV :

Let talk about NY residency only - we will discuss MA residency requirements after that - let do step by step.

LEV :

According to NY regulations - you're a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:
•your domicile is New York State; or
Based on that definition - we need to determine - if you are NY resident or not.
I asked you above - did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year?
You replied - yes - correct?

Customer:

ok.

LEV :

is that correct - or we need to determine that again?

Customer:

I don't have permanent place in new york city. we just have 6 months sublease to an apt in new york city from Apr 1st to Oct 31st of 2012, that's it.

Customer:

i do spend more than 184 days in new york city in 2012.

LEV :

Do you own or rent that apartment?

Customer:

i do not own the apt. I only had sublease for 6 months period time, after that we just pay in cash to rent the apt, but no lease on it, month by month.

LEV :

how this apartment is used? do you live there?

Customer:

yes i live at apt month by month, no lease after that 6 month sublease with my friend. I go back to MA very often, and my husband came to nyc once a while.

LEV :

If you live in this apartment - that is your permanent place of abode in New York State. Regardless of type of your lease contact - so based on your information - you are a resident of NY.
I am not clear why do you stated "I don't have permanent place in New York city" - that seems contradicts with other facts you provided...
Did you moved to NY on Apr 1 or you lived in NY before that? Where did you live before Apr 1?

Customer:

I lived in nyc for years, and i did pay new your state and nyc taxes, until i got married in Jan 1st 2012, i moved to MA, but still work in nyc, that's why i still rent the apt from friend. The really issue is to find out either I'm resident of MA or NY. Because I have marriage certificate and deed to prove that i live in MA when I got married and have a permanent house which is my husband in MA, he added me into the deed of his house. I do live in nyc as well, because i work in nyc as self-enployee, i don't get pay by saray, only from commission on leasing offices. So my accountant said even we had a shorte term sublease in nyc, we are still resident of MA.

Customer:

but another accoutnant from website said becuase i have 6 months lease to apt here in nyc, so I need to pay nyc taxes for this 6 months.

Customer:

are you still there?

LEV :

Based on your information - you was a resident of NY for years and still maintain a place of abode on the apartment - so far - nothing changed - and you still are a resident of NY.
You may be a resident of several states - that is not exclusive - but so far - you are a resident of NY - and all your income is subject of NY taxes.
I do not see any difference how you sign a lease - for six month or on the month-to-month basis - you still maintain a permanent place of abode in NY - and according to NY tax regulations - you are a resident of NY.

LEV :

Based on our determination - you are subject of NY taxes for the whole year - not only for 6 month.

LEV :

In additional - assuming that your spouse is NOT a resident of NY - you are required to file separate New York State returns. Still you may file a joint federal tax return with your spouse.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Even i have deed in MA for permanent house in MA and marriage certificate to show i live in MA that still not enough to show I'm resident of MA? I see people from NJ and CT working in nyc. They might have rent apt in nyc as well, but they only pay new york state taxes and NJ taxes, but not new york city taxes.

LEV :

There are situations when people who actually live in NY, but do not disclose that information to NY taxing authorities and avoid NY taxes. That is not something I could not advise - but as you see that is possible.
However - if taxing authorities will find out - there will be additional tax assessed plus penalty and interest charges.

Customer:

i understood thank you so much for your help.

LEV :

Sorry if you expected differently.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for your help. Another question since I live in nyc for work, I do share the apt with other roommate, so I don't rent whole space for whole year, but only 6 months. does that make any difference?

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
NYS Department of Taxation in determination of your residency status will based their decision on following definition:
you're a New York State resident for income tax purposes if:
•your domicile is New York State; or
Since you domicile is New York State - you are a resident of NY. All other circumstances - such as terms of your lease, purpose of being in NY, having roommates, sharing living space with others, etc are not relevant.
You may not have a lease agreement at all - but simply live with friends or relatives - still you are a resident of NY.

As I mentioned above - some people are hiding that information from taxing authorities - pretending they are not living in NY. It might be easy to hide if there is no lease under the person's name - however that doesn't change the law.
Sorry if you expected differently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The truth is I don't mind to pay both new york state and new york city and MA state taxes. i just wanted to have joint taxes with my husband. Because i'm working on the green card thing, it will help.

Since i'm new york resident. Do you think my husband could fill joint taxes return in new york state and new york city with me as well? I know he did not stay longer than 184 days in New York, but if we show 6 months lease, still could show he is resident. His business is in MA.

However, what i really wanted is to fill joint taxes returns together, doesn't matter in nyc or MA.

Do you think we could fill joint taxes together in new york state and new york city together? My husband might have to fill taxes in MA as well. Please let me know if it works, thanks!

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You may file a joint federal tax return with your spouse - there are no issues.
You will only need copies of last three federal tax returns for immigration purposes - you will not need to present state tax returns.
So your green card procedure is OK.

While you may file a joint federal tax return - the situation is different with NY tax returns - because you are married and filing a joint federal income tax return but one spouse is a New York State resident and the other is a nonresident or part-year resident, you are required to file a separate New York State returns.

In MA - as you maintain a joint household - you may file MA state tax return jointly - so - for tax purposes - you will be a resident of both states - MA and NY.
In additional - you will claim a credit for NY taxes on your MA tax return - and because NY taxes are higher - there will not be any additional MA tax liability on your income.

So far - as long as higher income taxes in NY is not an issue - you are OK - and I do not see any reason to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for this.

i just wanted to make sure that i understood your point:

1. we fill joint taxes for federal new york state together

2. We fill joint taxes for MA together.

3. We fill taxes separately, i fill income taxes to new york city and my husband fill it in MA.

Is it correct?

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
1. You file a join federal tax return - if you both agree to file jointly - that return is sent to the IRS.
2. NY state tax return and NYC tax return you file separately including only your income. Assuming your spouse doesn't have any income from NY sources - as a nonresident alien - he doesn't need to file NY tax returns.
3. You file a joint MA tax return - and will claim a credit for taxes paid to NY (as per NY state income tax return) - thus effectively will avoid double taxes on the same income.

That would be correct filing procedure as I see your situation.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lev,

Thanks for your help yesterday. i forward your suggestion above to my accountant.

He said everything is good, except no. 3 as you suggested. He can not fill joint tax in MA, because i'm a resident in NY, so he can not fill me into joint tax with my husband in MA.

He suggest what we could do is fill joint new york state taxes together, since my husband coming to nyc often.

i just wanted to get your opinion. Please let me know, thanks!

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Above - we discussed NY residency requirements - so we all agreed that you are a resident of NY for tax purposes - and must file your NY tax return as a resident.

So - now we may discuss other issues.
You stated that "He can not fill joint tax in MA, because I'm a resident in NY, so he can not fill me into joint tax with my husband in MA"

Specifically for MA - see here - http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/guide-to-personal-income-tax/residency-status.html#Residency
An individual is a full-year resident if:
•his or her legal residence (domicile) is in Massachusetts for the entire taxable year; or
•his or her legal residence (domicile) is not in Massachusetts for the entire taxable year but who:
1.maintains a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts; and
2.spends in the aggregate more than 183 days of the taxable year in Massachusetts, including days spent partially in and partially out of Massachusetts.

So far - MA residency requirements are NOT based on the fact of being a resident of another state - so legally you may be a resident of both states. So it is possible for you to be a resident of both NY and MA.
However - if you are a resident of MA is determined without your residency in NY - and should be solely based on the MA law.
See on the page I referenced above:
Whether a person maintains a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts is a factual determination. The Department of Revenue interprets a "permanent place of abode" to mean a dwelling place continually maintained by a person, whether or not owned by such person, and will include a dwelling place owned or leased by a person's spouse.

So far - I do not see any issues for you for being a resident of MA.
Please provide that information to your accountant for considerations.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lev,

I sent your answer to my accountant, here is his answer as below:

Yes I see this and I get your point but you are not a resident of Mass since you did not spend more than 183 days in Mass. (I think) I understand that you can be a resident of Mass and NY if the laws are not consistent and each state goes on its own merit but you did not spend this amount of time in Mass. I thought you wanted to do this right? I see that your motivation is to file joint in each state and I believe that is not the correct way to file since you have residency in NY and not Mass based on each states laws.

i did not stay more than 183 days in Mass, that's true. So i can not be a resident of MA, right? I just wanted to double check. Thanks!

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
So far - we are getting step-by-step.
What I see that we all agreed that being a resident of NY has nothing to do with determination of your residency in MA.

However - let take a look at the definition of MA residency as referenced above - An individual is a full-year resident if:

Please pay attention - there are two different requirements connected with OR.
So because you did not spend more than 183 days in MA - the second requirement is not satisfied, but the first requirement doesn't asking for 183 days in Mass - it simply asking if you maintain a permanent place of abode in MA.
Now - it is a question to you - do you maintains a permanent place of abode in MA with your spouse?
If yes - you are a resident of MA. If not - you are a nonresident.

Originally - in your first question - you stated - see above - "plus I'm MA resident"
Later - you stated "Also my husband added me into the deed of his house in MA"
These facts made me to believe that you indeed is a resident of MA.
However the determination must be made based on you maintaining a permanent place of abode in MA with your spouse or NOT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are so right. i'm part of deed on my husband's house, so at this point, i'm a resident of MA.

So even i fill separately new york state and new york city taxes, but i still can fill joint taxes in MA, right?

But here is the situation, i got married in Jan 1st 2012, and then my husband added me into his deed probably after 2 or 3 months later, so looks like i don't have deed for entire taxes year.

Here is the recording information for the Deed. Recorded in Book 41318, Page 74 on May 2, 2012.

is that a problem?

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
I do not see any problem.
The fact of having your name on the deed is a supporting information - not requirement. So when you were added to the deed is not so important.
What is important - how you answer on the question - do you maintains a permanent place of abode in MA with your spouse?
If you answer - yes - you are a resident of MA.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer is yes. I'm part of deed for my husband's house in MA. Thank you so much!!!
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
I hope that information will help you in your conversation with an accountant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lev,

Thanks for your help. Here is my thought, all I wanted to do this is try to make it looks good for immigration.

As you said i could be a resident of MA as well. So I could fill joint federal state taxes, fill marriage separately tax in ny and nyc and then fill joint tax in MA.

I would do that if this would help immigration more, as if i file joint tax in MA, i will have liability to response for my husband's tax if his new business is not doing well and couldn't pay tax, they will come to me to pay. So there is a risk to me on this.

My point is if i fill joint MA tax will make better on immigration, then i will do it, otherwise, I would just fill joint federal state tax and fill marriage separately tax in ny and nyc, and my husband fill in MA.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Because you will file jointly your federal tax returns in any case - your green card procedure is OK.
Generally - you will not provide state tax returns to immigration authorities.

In this case for your immigration process - it doesn't matter which state tax returns you will file and what filing status you will use on state tax returns.

In filing jointly, both taxpayers are jointly and severally liable for the tax and any additions to tax, interest, or penalties that arise as a result of the joint return even if they later divorce. Joint and several liability means that each taxpayer is legally responsible for the entire liability. Thus, both spouses are generally held responsible for all the tax due even if one spouse earned all the income or claimed improper deductions or credits. This is also true even if a divorce decree states that a former spouse will be responsible for any amounts due on previously filed joint returns.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So at this point, i would just fill joint Federal tax, and fill marriage separately in ny and nyc, he fill in MA. it's better not to fill joint tax in MA, since this is not going to help Immigration. Right?

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Regarding you MA tax return - that is not a matter of choice - but a matter of determination.

If yes - you are a resident of MA - and you are required to file MA tax return.
If not - you are a nonresident - and MA tax return is not required.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OMG, so now i'm on the deed of the house in MA, so I have to fill joint MA, what happened if i didn't fill, as my accountant still believe that i'm not resident of MA.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
What you need to do - with help of your accountant - determine if you are a resident of MA or not?
That is based solely of the definition of MA residency as we already discussed above - in your case - that will be based on your answer - whether your legal residence (domicile) is in Massachusetts.

None of any single fact determines your residency status.
Based on your information - there are facts which support either statement.
For instance - if you determine that you are NOT a resident of MA and will not file MA tax return - it is possible that MA taxing authorities could disagree with your determination - but the outcome depends if you would owe any MA taxes. I assume that there will be none (or very little - because of the credit you may claim for NY taxes) - so the risk of being audited by MA DOR is very little.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for this clear point. I believe I'm resident of MA, but because I don't want to take the risk on the MA tax on my husband's new business, also I pays tax in ny and NYC, plus fill joint MA is not going to help immigration, then I would decide that not to fill joint MA with my husband.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You are correct - as long as you file jointly your federal tax return - you are set for immigration process.
However for federal tax purposes - you are jointly and severally liable for the tax and any additions to tax, interest, or penalties that arise as a result of the joint return.

For NY - we clear determined that you are a resident for tax purposes - and need to file your tax return as a resident.

For MA - you may also take a look at instructions - see page 5 - or search for "Am I a Resident, Nonresident, or Part-Year Resident"

Also - see on the same page - "What Are the Rules for Filing a Joint Return?"
If you are legally married, you have the option of filing either a joint return or a married filing separate return.
If you choose not to file jointly - your spouse will be required to use "Married filing separate return” and enter your Social Security
number in the space provided.

I suggest to verify his possible tax liability before finalizing you decision because it is possible that his tax liability will be larger compare to jointly filed tax return.
Your accountant might prepare tax returns both ways - so you may compare before finalizing your choice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help. You mean if he fills marriage separately in MA, then if he has problems paying his tax in MA, they will still come up to me?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If your spouse will file MA state tax return as "married filing separate" - you will NOT be responsible for any tax liability related to THIS return.
However - that will not eliminate your spouse's tax liability - and as long as you will be together - you would need to deal with that debt anyway.

What I meant to say - it is possible that the total tax liability will be different if he files as married filing separate or if you file a joint tax return. The difference might be small , but might be significant - and before finalizing your choice - I suggest to verify that difference - so you will based your decision on all facts.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see, now I got you.

i would rather not to response his tax, even he has to pay more, he has to deal with it. i have very heavy tax to pay in ny.

My husband does have a lot of debt. But i have a writing agreement with him that any debts under his name, it's nothing to do with me, including credit cards, mortgages, loans and so on... Also i have double checked that even I'm on the deed, but i'm not responsible for any mortgages in his house, because it's under his name, so I think i'm protected from him.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Just a follow up after our conversation.
I hope everything is OK and you will have a great 4th of July.
Greatly appreciate your willingness to elaborate and evaluate all options related to your relatively complicated issues.

As we already noted - any single fact just alone may not be used in determination of your residency for tax purposes. Rather - you need to evaluate if you have a "permanent place of abode" in MA.
The "permanent place of abode" means - "a dwelling place continually maintained by a person, whether or not owned by such person, and will include a dwelling place owned or leased by a person's"
Based on your information - there are several facts - some may be used to support opposite determination.
For instance - the fact of having you name on the deed supports that you do have
"permanent place of abode."
However - the fact that you are a resident of NY may be used to support that you do not have a permanent place of abode in MA.
Whether a person maintains a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts is a factual determination - all facts and circumstances must be considered.

Have Fun At The Parade And Enjoy The Fireworks!

Lev, Tax Advisor