Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Re: 2012 individual tax CA & IRS I filed 2012 tax return,

Re: 2012 individual tax CA & IRS

I filed 2012 tax return, which included 2 dependents, 1 was grandchild I adopted.

Somehow I entered wrong SSN on tax form. I'm so angry w/ myself for such sloppy work.

Anyway, CA process return fine w/ wrong SSN for one of dependents (adopted one) but IRS reduced refund by basically deleted the dependent. I went to turbo tax deleted dependent and it comes to exact amount IRS will be giving me according to online check refund status link.

Questions: I haven't got the notice yet, but the online short details says last name doesn't match SSN, I check and SSN entered is wrong.

So I'm assuming I have to prepare amended return for BOTH IRS and CA. CA processed return but I don't want to leave error on the records. Since it's just a SSN # XXXXX can't I just send a letter? Can it just be fixed over the phone? Do I really have to send in another entire tax return?

Please give advice? Refund went from about $5.1K to $3.4k. Once error fixed the difference should be refunded.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You will need to complete the 1040X and add the dependent. If the IRS removed them then you would be required to file the amendment and add them back on.

Robin D :

The return is not going to be completed all over again, the part of the amended return that adds the dependent and a few lines on the 1040X along with the reason, are all that will be needed to complete.

Customer:

okay. So basically I need to do the following:

Customer:

file out 1040x (2pages) and file out corrected 1040 w/ dependents and correct SSN (2 pages) and mail in. So total of 4 pages.

Customer:

how about CA? CA processed refunded fine but as it stands now they have wrong SSN on my acct...not good right?

Customer:

Should I try to find 8 yr olds SS card and attach to help IRS process?

Customer:

there no way they can just correct a simple error like this on the phone?

Customer:

finally, the 1040X has questions I don't know...like box A "original amount OR as previously adjusted" so for this box I need to entered what the IRS adjusted my return to? How do I determine all the correct # XXXXX the IRS corrected my return to? Thanks for help.

Robin D :

You will complete the 1040X (2 pgs). You do not do anything with a 1040 form.
For CA you do not need to do an amendment I am looking to see if CA will take a SS change over phone. Do not send a SS card with the return.

The original amounts are all what was lisited on your return. Column C on the 1040X is for the correct amount that should have been reported.

Robin D :

You will have very few changes.

Robin D :

Most of your Col A amounts and Col C amounts will be the same except the exemption amounts and then the tax liability

Robin D :

You can send a copy of the federal changes to
ATTN RAR/VOL MS F310
FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 1998
RANCHO CORDOVA CANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>This will report the correct SSN to CA

Customer:

thank you.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.