Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Is there any way to liquidate an IRA and utilize the money

Customer Question

Is there any way to liquidate an IRA and utilize the money to buy a house without being excessively taxed?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

There is one way to get a penalty free withdrawal of your IRA account without having to pay the penalty

MyVirtualCPA :

That's if you are a first time homebuyer - you can get up to $10,000 for the down payment of your home or other acquisition costs

MyVirtualCPA :

However, if you are not a first time homeowner there is no penalty free withdrawal for you, unfortunately

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

MyVirtualCPA :

You can read more about the first time homeowner IRA withdrawal here: http://www.hrblock.com/tax-answers/services/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=68091