Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

How does some unknown tax consultant know that I have recently

How does some unknown tax consultant know that I have recently receive a notice of levy from the IRS. Does it appear somewhere in a public record?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

The IRS could also file a Notice of Federal Tax Liens with public records so, yes

MyVirtualCPA :

this information could be public record.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry if that's not what you had hoped to hear.

Customer:

No. I didn't file a return for 2004 as I had far more deductions than I would have tax they had already taken. The IRS filed recently a proposed return alledging I owed about $2,000 in taxes and $8,000 interest and penalties. I've talked to them and they said just to file the return and they'll keep the money they have (about $2,000) even though I would normally, except for the three year statute be entitled to it. No bit deal. My inattention. But I want to know how I am getting emails saying that a certain consultant can help me with my "wage garnishment". I know of no Federal Tax Lien. Only a Notice of Levy sent me re my social security retirement and that's been placed on hold. I'm just concerned about the public records issue. How did this guy know I have something going on with the IRS? Does he have access to what records? Thanks. It's a very short question.

Customer:

I will certainly look forward to using you in the future in this area.

MyVirtualCPA :

Levies typically are not public records, but when the IRS files a levy they typically file a lien too with public records

Customer:

So I should check with my 3 credit bureaus on my report and my local county records to see if one has been recorded, right. Those would be the only two public? sources I would know of.

Customer:

The county record is probably where he got it.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you could check your credit report. If it's not on there, then I don't know how the consultant knew about this situation.

Customer:

If he got into my IRS records (ala Cincinatti?) or my SS records its a felony. NO?

MyVirtualCPA :

He would not be able to get access to your personal information

MyVirtualCPA :

But I'm not a lawyer so I could not speculate on any potential penalty

Customer:

Thank you for your input. I rely upon your professional experience in this area to give me a sense of how this could have happened and I appreciate it. If I want to consultant with you again, how do I contact you directly or am I able to?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you would put "to MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question and it will be routed to me

Customer:

Great. Thank you for your time and knowledge. Have a great day and lunch is on me.

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay thanks. Please use the rating feature to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level