Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My sister had POA for my mothers estate, but my mother was

My sister had POA for my mother's estate, but my mother was never dedlared incompitant. She took $50,000 of mother's money for down payment on a house, none of her brother;s or sister were told about this. Also after my Mother died there was $250,000 to $300,000 unaccounted for. From what I've read She may have commited crimes, especially with the IRS. Can I inform the IRS? How do I inform tha IRS?

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Your mother had rights to appoint POA. Any person may appoint another by signing a form POA.
Specifically for tax issues - following form should be used - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2848.pdf‎
The POA is required to act in the best interest of the person who appointed her - in your case in teh best interest of your mother.
Based on your information - your sister simply stole the money - and if that is correct - you need to file a report to the local police. The investigator will be assigned - and if she committed a crime - the case will go to the court. If the court confirms the crime - the information will be sent to the IRS - and she will be required to include into her income the stolen amount - and will owe additional taxes on that income.