Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im filling out a form it-2663 for NYS real estate tax, what

I'm filling out a form it-2663 for NYS real estate tax, what are the guidelines for what can and cannot be deducted as "closing costs" and "improvements"?

For instance, can I deduct refinance fees?

Also, if I'm selling the house now, but will be married by the time I'm filing my taxes, should I use the $250K deduction on profit, or the $500K deduction?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tonight

MyVirtualCPA :

Closing costs would not include refinance fees. These are fees that are paid when you close on the sale of the house. An example would be sales commissions

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, if you are selling the house and are unmarried at the time of the sale, you would use the $250,000 exclusion not the $500,000 exclusion.

MyVirtualCPA :

Improvements would be any improvements you made to the property, such as a new roof or HVAC system, a kitchen remodel or something similar

Customer:

Thanks! I don't see the place on the IT-2663 to take into account the $250,000 exclusion - where does that go?

MyVirtualCPA :

You're not even required to fill out the form if your house qualifies for the exclusion

MyVirtualCPA :

See this http://www.firstamny.com/doc/805.pdf page 1 of the instructions to the form.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Yes, if I pay taxes on the sale of this NY property while living in California, will I need to pay CA taxes on the sale as well?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you will owe tax to California as well, but you will get credit for the tax paid to New York

Steve,

It looks as if we are having trouble in chat. If you need anything else, please follow up below. If satisfied with your answer, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again!