Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Im self employed, consistantly profitable, working out of

I'm self employed, consistantly profitable, working out of my home / taking the home office deduction.
During 2012 I started a second serice oriented business (formed an LLC) which I also operate out of my home.
Questions:
1. For the LLC I use a dedicated seperate space. A second home office deduction on the second / new Sch C is justified. How would the tax agencies regard such a set-up ?
2. Same question for fixed assets purchased / converted from personal use. Again a deduction is justified but would you consider that to be a potential issue with the tax agencies.
3. The LLC did not generate any revenues in 2012. It is not expected to do so for a while.
My established home business has been profitable for the last 15 years. Even if the LLC does not generate any revenues I'll have taxable income / tax liability. with that setting in mind, is there an acceptable start-up period after which this could be an issue. Also, how does that effect the preferred set-up (questions 1&2). Thank you.

Anne :

HI

Anne :

Thank you for your question

Anne :

Can you please tell me what entity your LLC is? (Sole proprietor, S Corp,C Corp, Partnership?)

Anne :

I see you're not online. When you come back online, and answer my question, JA will notify me, and hopefully, we will be online together and be able to chat

Anne :

However, I am asking you the question re: how your LLC is set up, since some entities can have an office in the home, and some can 't

Customer:

are you there

Anne :

Yes, I apologize...........and I see I missed that I missed that it was Sch C

Anne :

Do you mind waiting a few minutes?

Anne :

I'm so sorry............this NEVER happens to me

Anne :

I'm here now

Anne :

and you have my undivided attention

Anne :

So you have stated a separate Sch C that has not earned any money yet

Anne :

and you want to know if you can deduct your cost expenses

Anne :

do I have that right?

Anne :

The answer to your first question re: 2 OIH......although this is not really unusual (I've done them over the years) it MAY be questioned by the IRS.............it looks like you've done your homework, and if you get a letter, you will explain it to them the way you wrote your question.........you nave 2 businesses and 2 SEPARATE rooms dedicated to your business

Anne :

The IRS understands that setting up a business takes money, which is why they allow you up t0 $5000 in start up costs

Anne :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this answered your questions, but if not, please utilize the follow up question feature so that you will not be charged for a separate question

Customer:

The thing is I don't want to have to deal with the administrative nightmare that an audit is. Please define "may question" a second home office.

Customer:

Second, Are you saying that a start up could accumulate 5,000. in start-up expense and unless there are revenues that's all that's allowed or are you referring to start-up expenses cap and than on-going expenses are acceptable without revenues and if so for how long

Anne :

Nobody can give you a blanket statement that the IRS will not question you. HOWEVER, I CAN tell you that you are NOT the only person with2 home offices due to 2 home businesses, and I've prepared one person that has had this situation for over 20 years, and we have never even gotten a letter audit.

Anne :

As for the $5000 start up expenses, I did NOT mean to imply that you could not take additional expenses in the years you pay them, whether or not you have income from the business

Anne :

As long as you treat this 2nd business in the same manner you treated your first one (advertise, separate bank accounts, records of income/expenses, etc) you are absolutely free to take those expenses.

Anne :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX I did not make these issues clear

Thank you for the accept and the positive rating

Please feel free to ask for me by name if you need help in the future.