Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

What is the law (if any) in the state of florida, that requires

What is the law (if any) in the state of florida, that requires a religious institute to pay property taxes.?

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Qualified organizations may receive a partial or total exemption on their properties:

• Charitable
  • Educational
  • Literary
  • Scientific
  • Religious

Annual Application Required for Exemption

Florida law requires that all organizational applicants for a tax exemption be non-profit except for educational institutions. Although qualification as exempt under 501c3 of the Internal Revenue Code is a good start, this alone is not definitive as to non-profit status for exemption purposes under state law. We look at many things, including but not limited to:

Whether your organization has a consumer certificate of exemption from the Florida Department of Revenue;

Relationships between the organization and its members/officers;

Payments made to its members/officers; and

Charges made to those using its services

See 196.195 of the Florida Statutes for more detailed information.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I specifically ask for a law (statute) . You did give a statute if I wanted more detail, but that was not an answer. Also it's about religious institute, church, what requires churches to even file for exception, or if a church is not non-profit, what law requires it to pay property taxes.j
The statute I provided pertains to the organizations which are exempt from paying property taxes in Florida. All of the information is contained in that statute. Being a non-profit religious organization is mandatory for exemption and is only the first step to being exempt from paying property taxes in Florida.

To further assist you, the following is a detailed explanation of how exemption from paying property taxes in Florida is determined:

http://www.property-appraiser.org/propertyappraiser/149-1120-1126/nonprofit_exemptions.cfm

Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thank you.

Good morning, Mr. Ramkissoon.

Just a short note to thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. Both are most appreciated. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Recommendations to family and friends are also very much appreciated.

Best regards.

Barb