How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29504
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father lived in Massachusetts from 1/1/2012 to 3/31/2012,

This answer was rated:

My father lived in Massachusetts from 1/1/2012 to 3/31/2012, then he sold his house and moved to Indiana, he bought a house there and lived in Indiana from 4/1/2012 to 7/14/2012 when he passed away. I have been appointed Personal Representative for my Father's Estate. I was told I had to pay Indiana State Taxes, then I was told to pay state taxes to Massachusetts and not Indiana. Should I just pay both taxes? They are both small amounts.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
State income taxes are based on both - the source of income and on residency.
Because your father was a part year resident of Massachusetts and a part year resident of Indiana - you need to file income tax returns for both states.


Income taxes for Indiana are calculated for income received while he was a resident of Indiana - from 4/1/2012 to 7/14/2012.


and correspondingly - for Massachusetts from 1/1/2012 to 3/31/201.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you