Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My father lived in Massachusetts from 1/1/2012 to 3/31/2012,

My father lived in Massachusetts from 1/1/2012 to 3/31/2012, then he sold his house and moved to Indiana, he bought a house there and lived in Indiana from 4/1/2012 to 7/14/2012 when he passed away. I have been appointed Personal Representative for my Father's Estate. I was told I had to pay Indiana State Taxes, then I was told to pay state taxes to Massachusetts and not Indiana. Should I just pay both taxes? They are both small amounts.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
State income taxes are based on both - the source of income and on residency.
Because your father was a part year resident of Massachusetts and a part year resident of Indiana - you need to file income tax returns for both states.

LEV :

Income taxes for Indiana are calculated for income received while he was a resident of Indiana - from 4/1/2012 to 7/14/2012.

LEV :

and correspondingly - for Massachusetts from 1/1/2012 to 3/31/201.