Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

Hi I am an AustralXXXXX XXXXXving in California. I am a spouse

Hi I am an AustralXXXXX XXXXXving in California.
I am a spouse on an E3 visa my husband holds the E3 visa.
I have received my working permit as a E3 spouse. I am a casting director I own a casting company in Australia I cast Tv commercials, it is a PTY LTD company.
I do not employ fulltime staff I employ staff on a job by job basis.
I will be renting a studio space on a job by job basis.
I will only be working on approx 10 projects a year my companies annual turnover is around $250,000.00 to $300,000.00.
Can I open my company in California?
Is it just best if I am small to be a sole proprietor or should I open a LLC, corp c corp s...Im confused. I have read a little about each type of company but still cannot make a decision on what is right for my situation. Please help

Thank you for using justanswer. Yes, you can set up your company in CA. (Although you may still be taxed on the money you earn here in Australia)

Setting your business up as an LLC will be the easiest . An LLC will do, as it’s the lightest-weight incorporation you can get, and in some cases, might be the only option. (Certain corporations like S-Corps require you to be a tax resident of the United States…something hard to do if you’re not present in the country for less than 183 days). It doesn't’t matter where you register it: “Deleware” simply markets the brand of their state, due to the legal system having experience and other factors. Truth be told, a company is a company.

That information came from the link below:

I purposely stopped before getting into the part where you have to be an employee, since you have your working permit and are not subject to the same restraints as your husband.

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Thank you for the accept and the excellent rating!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.