Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I dont know how to handle 50% bonus depreciation. I am confused

Customer Question

I don't know how to handle 50% bonus depreciation. I am confused and definitely need a thorough explanation. Perhaps a numerical example. My accountant has filed for an extension. I have a meeting next week and I would like to be informed so I can make the best decision. Here is the situation: I built a solar PV array for $300,000 and put it in service in 2012. I am allowed50% bonus depreciation for the first year. Does this mean that I can depreciate $150.000 the first year? Is my total depreciation $300,000 or do I get an additional $150,000 on top of the $300,000? Will the AMT catch me? I am the only owner of the LLC.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

Your question merits a lot of explanation. The best information I have found that is contained in one place which is very easy to understand is at http://www.section179.org/

Please follow along in the text and click on the questions at the bottom. You will start with Section 179 which has a limit of $500,000 for 2012 (retroactive).

After reviewing this information, if you have any other questions, please let me know. I will be available tomorrow and will be happy to further assist you.

Thank you.