How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14872
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in az. i inherited my mothers home in 2005, through a living

Customer Question

in az. i inherited my mothers home in 2005, through a living trust, turned it into a rental, home at time was worth about $200,000. selling it for $135,000. if i don't invest or do a 1031 tax exchange, will there be tax on it? if so should i do a 1031 tax exchange?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The tax in a 1031 exchange is deferred until the replacement property is sold. If you sell at a loss you would not have tax to pay. The amount of recapture on the depreciation would not be a factor if you sale the property at a loss, so applying the 1031 exchange rules in that situation would not benefit.

Robin D :

In short, if you were selling and you were going to have again then a 1031 exchange is a beneficial option to defer the tax that would ordinarily be applied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i would never use your service again. the answer was nothing, so nebuous, and noncommital. i have used 1031 tax exchange for years that is not what i asked about.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
Did you want to ask something in addition to the original post? I do not understand what portion of your question I did not address.