Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I am a U.S. citizen living and working in Mexico for a Mexican

I am a U.S. citizen living and working in Mexico for a Mexican university. I am paying federal estimated taxes based on my earnings in Mexico. I would like to continue to contribute to Social Security while I work in Mexico (and continue to earn Social Security credits). Based on what I know, it seems that I should claim the foreign income exclusion for my earnings in Mexico. However, I am concerned that that would mean that I would not be contributing to Social Security. Of course, I want to accurately report my activity to the IRS. I also want to earn Social Security credits. Can I do both? Should I claim the foreign tax exclusion for my earnings in Mexico? Thank you!

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, there's no way to pay into social security. This work would not be subject to social security

MyVirtualCPA :

You cannot purchase social security credits, so there's no way to pay into social security from this

Thank you.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would please rate my response excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today