Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a girl who is under 18 living

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a girl who is under 18 living in my house ex wife daughter, i am here guardian at anaheim high school, she lives in my house, showed proof she receives mail in my house, showed them a photo copy of her drivers license i sign up for a $3500 child care credit, i send them the papers in april will i get a refund?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How old is the girl that is living with you?

MyVirtualCPA :

And what papers did you submit to the IRS...was it along with your tax return?

Customer:

17, drivers license, school papers that i am her guardian, mailing address that she receives mail at my house

MyVirtualCPA :

She's too old to receive the credit

MyVirtualCPA :

The childcare tax credit is for children 13 and below

MyVirtualCPA :

And the child tax credit which is $1,000 is for children 16 and below

MyVirtualCPA :

So, unfortunately you should not get the refund

Customer:

what happen my tax man at liberty said i will get $3500 tax return, i also have a son went ot college who is 25 years old will i get the refund?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your son who is 25 can not be a dependent ...

Customer:

what about the girl living in my house going to high school?

MyVirtualCPA :

She can be a dependent and you can take her exemption, but you would not qualify for any child care credit

MyVirtualCPA :

Your son can be a dependent only if he did not earn more than $3,800 during the year, you provided more than 1/2 of his total support, and he is unmarried

Customer:

i did all of that will i get a refund?

MyVirtualCPA :

If your tax return was processed by Liberty Tax and they calculated a refund then you should get the refund

MyVirtualCPA :

But, you did not qualify for the child care tax credit or the child credit so if you claimed those the IRS may disallow that part of your refund

Customer:

what happen i had to supply all the papers to the irs, girls drivers license, my sons school, guardian papers from the high school, proof that they recevied mail at my house, i am going for 3500 refund will i get it if i did all those things what liberty told me to?

Customer:

please answer me this will be the last question

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes you would get the refund calculated by Liberty Tax, provided that they did not take a child tax credit. You do not qualify for any child tax credits.

Customer:

thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today