Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a girl who is under 18 living

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX have a girl who is under 18 living in my house ex wife daughter, i am here guardian at anaheim high school, she lives in my house, showed proof she receives mail in my house, showed them a photo copy of her drivers license i sign up for a $3500 child care credit, i send them the papers in april will i get a refund?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How old is the girl that is living with you?

MyVirtualCPA :

And what papers did you submit to the IRS...was it along with your tax return?

Customer:

17, drivers license, school papers that i am her guardian, mailing address that she receives mail at my house

MyVirtualCPA :

She's too old to receive the credit

MyVirtualCPA :

The childcare tax credit is for children 13 and below

MyVirtualCPA :

And the child tax credit which is $1,000 is for children 16 and below

MyVirtualCPA :

So, unfortunately you should not get the refund

Customer:

what happen my tax man at liberty said i will get $3500 tax return, i also have a son went ot college who is 25 years old will i get the refund?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your son who is 25 can not be a dependent ...

Customer:

what about the girl living in my house going to high school?

MyVirtualCPA :

She can be a dependent and you can take her exemption, but you would not qualify for any child care credit

MyVirtualCPA :

Your son can be a dependent only if he did not earn more than $3,800 during the year, you provided more than 1/2 of his total support, and he is unmarried

Customer:

i did all of that will i get a refund?

MyVirtualCPA :

If your tax return was processed by Liberty Tax and they calculated a refund then you should get the refund

MyVirtualCPA :

But, you did not qualify for the child care tax credit or the child credit so if you claimed those the IRS may disallow that part of your refund

Customer:

what happen i had to supply all the papers to the irs, girls drivers license, my sons school, guardian papers from the high school, proof that they recevied mail at my house, i am going for 3500 refund will i get it if i did all those things what liberty told me to?

Customer:

please answer me this will be the last question

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes you would get the refund calculated by Liberty Tax, provided that they did not take a child tax credit. You do not qualify for any child tax credits.

Customer:

thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.