Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

in order to qualify a two-family residence for a like-kind

in order to qualify a two-family residence for a like-kind exchange, must there have been rental income reported?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

In order to qualify, no rental income was required, although you would have had to purchase the residence for investment purposes.

MyVirtualCPA :

You cannot get a like-kind exchange on personal use assets

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if you purchased this for investment purposes then it qualifies. Not having rental income doesn't mean that it wasn't investment property

Customer:

i do not think i was clear enough. i currently own a two-family home with my sister and we are contemplating selling within the next couple of years. do i need to rent one of the apartments prior to selling in order to do a like-kind exchange to another piece of income property?

MyVirtualCPA :

If it is used in any way for a personal use asset, it does not qualify

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if you live in one half of it, it would not qualify for a like-kind exchange

MyVirtualCPA :

However, you would qualify for the capital gain exclusion if you lived in the house 2 out of the last 5 years

Customer:

i cannot read the question and the answers. i would need to be able to print these before rating my experience.

MyVirtualCPA :

You cannot view my responses?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can use your browser's print function to print a copy of this, or you can return to this URL to see the chat session at any time

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.justanswer.com/tax/7sop2-order-qualify-two-family-residence-like-kind.html

MyVirtualCPA :

Let me switch to a different format, and copy and paste this for you. It might make it easier for you to see the question and answers.

Hi, Ann

Here's a transcript of our chat. Please follow up using "reply" if you need anything additional, if not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting today.

MyVirtualCPA says:

<br/Customerhas entered this chat!MyVirtualCPA says:

So, if you purchased this for investment purposes then it qualifies. Not having rental income doesn't mean that it wasn't investment property</pCustomersays:

MyVirtualCPA says:

However, you would qualify for the capital gain exclusion if you lived in the house 2 out of the last 5 years</pCustomersays:

MyVirtualCPA says:

You cannot view my responses?

11:26 AM