Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hi xxxx xxxx. My wife is a non-resident

Hi xxxxx xxxx. My wife is a non-resident alien, who does not file any tax documents in the US. Unfortunately, I (without thinking) set up a Roth IRA for her. Things have changed over the years (I thought we would be living in the US, but that is not the case) and she does not want to have to submit any forms to the US gov. If she withdraws only the money that was deposited, she does not have to submit any paperwork of any kind, is that correct?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
If the contributions are withdrawn then there would not be any tax issues at all to deal with.

Robin D :

If there are earnings then those earnings would be subject to tax withhosling.

Robin D :

withholding* sorry

Robin D :

As she is a nonresident alien the earnings would be subject to withholding at 30% for the tax rate.

Robin D :

If income tax is withheld under section 3405 on any distribution to a nonresident alien, she will have that distribution and withholding reported on a Form 1099-R.