Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I inherited a home from my dad in 2008. its worth today is

I inherited a home from my dad in 2008. its worth today is $67.300 and I want to gift this to my son. I have never had the house put in my name. I am an only child. this is very hard for me. can you advise me. how much tax will he and I have to pay. he will not live in the house he will rent it out. we live in Snellville ga and the home is in Decatur, ga
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Neither of you will likely owe any tax on this transfer. There is no income involved since it's a gift...thus it need not be reported on either income tax return. There should be no gift tax consequences. Recipients of gifts are not subject to gift tax. And, there should also be no gift tax due from the donor. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, for any amounts in excess of the $14,000 in a year, each person has a $5,250,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,250,000 in gifts over and above the $14,000 annual gift exclusion amount without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative additional gifts have exceeded the $5,250,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!