Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347
Tax

A couple of questions about the W-8BEN form for a Canadian.

Hi Robin, How are you... Show More

Hi Robin, How are you? I have a couple of questions about the W-8BEN form. I am a Canadian Citizen residing in Canada who will be obtaining affiliate income from various US companies (i.e. hostgator, Adsense, EduSearch, among others.).

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The W8 BEN would be used to exclude any withholding requirements as long a syou are not working physically in the US.

Robin D :

The form needs to be completed or the companies in the US are required to withhold 30% on any payment they send you.

Robin D :

These are the basics but please ask any specific questions you have and I can address those.

Robin D :

Thanks for asking for me personally!

Robin D :

Customer Last Viewed Today at 10:06 Did you have a specific question when you viewed?

Customer:

Hi Robin,

Robin D :

Hi

Customer:

HI Robin, good morning. I'm just compliling my few questions... will be a couple of minutes. :)

Robin D :

Take you time

Robin D :

your

Robin D :

sorry

Customer:

Great! Thank you. What I need is clarification on the following lines for the W-8BEN:

LIne 6 (Do I need a SSN, ITIN, or EIN?)
Line 7
Only check of line 9a ?
Check line 11 ?

Cheers.

Robin D :

Line 6, no, If you leave the tax number blank, the form will remain in effect until the last day of the third year after you signed the form.
Line 7 Provide your Canadian social number
9a Check it and enter "Canada"
Line 11 Leave it alone

Customer:

That's it - that easy eh? ;)

Robin D :

Sure was, thanks

Customer:

OK Robin, so basically Canada and the U.S. have a tax treaty, and by uisng the W-8BEN I save the 30% withholding tax. You saved me a fortune on lawyer fees. Any other fields I need to be concerned about or did I cover them?

All the best,
Avrom

Robin D :

Not really. Yes the Canada US tax treaty is very friendly and the form is just kept by the requester so they can show (if asked) why they did not withhold.

Robin D :

You as a Canadian not physically working in the US have no US tax requirement.

Robin D :

The companies have to use the payment as a deduction so they need the form.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

Robin, yes you will get an "excellent" rating - no worries. Come and visit sometime www.Customer.com
Ciao

Cheers
Avrom

Robin D :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for me!

Robin D :

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Robin, one final question - Do I need to add "canada" into line 2 even though I am an individual and not an organization?

Cheers!

No, you are not required to enter anything in Line 2
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Awesome, thank you!

Thank you for the rating and the bonus.
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

OK got it - thanks. I keep getting emails to respond. :)

Sorry about those. They must be computer generated.
Just ignore any for this response please ( I am required to respond if you send me a post).
:)