Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I am about the buy a condo. Can I pay some of the sellers realtor

I am about the buy a condo. Can I pay some of the sellers realtor commissions and deduct it from my tax

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

Unfortunately, no. Real estate commissions paid by the seller may be deducted from the sales profit, but any real estate commissions paid by the buyer must be added to the cost of the property. That would increase your depreciation deductions if it is rental property or decrease your gain when you sell the property.

Stephen G :

Questions?

Customer:

It is a primary residence. So if I understand correctly, I can't deduct anything if I decide to share the realtor commissions with the seller?

Stephen G :

That is correct.

Customer:

ok. thanks

Stephen G :

OK

Stephen G :
id="yiv8857867288yui_3_7_2_34_1363549301471_39">If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.

You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Thanks very much, Steve G.
Customer:

is there any cost or fees other than points that I could claim?

Stephen G :

Only your portion of the real estate taxes and if you are financing your mortgagee will send you a 1098 at the end of the year indicating how much your interest deduction is. If you are paying any financing points, those may be deducted also.

Customer:

ok. Thanks Steve!