How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Barbara Your Own Question

Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1781
Experience:  17+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello ,I filed this year tax return(married filing joint

Customer Question

Hello , I filed this year tax return(married filing joint return) along with W7 application for my wife and daughter for getting ITIN . Since we were not comfortable in sending passport for ITIN application , We went to Baltimore IRS office which is an In Person verification center to submit W7 and tax return. We submitted it and after a month I got a mail from ITIN unit saying W7 application is on hold since original passport is not send for verification . We again went to Baltimore and the IRS agent resubmitted the application again , but sad to say after a month we got an mail from ITIN Unit saying my dependent application got rejected and they send my 1040 to IRS to process my return . Sad story didn't ended there a week back I got a mail from IRS with a green form 3531 and copy of 1040 saying original signature is missing in the 1040 . The 1040 was a photocopy of my original one which i submitted initially along with w7 . In the 1040 it says ITIN rejected in the ITIN space. Now I dont what to do . If I generate a new 1040 and sign it they may say where is the ITIN since ITIN space will be empty . I am planning to start the process once gain like submitting w7 , fresh 1040 along with original passport will that help ?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.


My best advice to you would be to visit the IRS office you originally visited and request to speak to a supervisor. Explain to the supervisor exactly what you have detailed in your question. Be sure to bring all of the letters that you received from the IRS up until this point. If they can provide you with any documentation regarding your visits, so much the better. Again, resubmit your original 1040 (signed) with all of the documentation generated up until this point.


I know this will be quite time consuming and extra work, but it will be worth it in the long run to get this straightened out--sooner rather than later.


Please let me now if you require further information. Thank you and best regards.

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can assist you further with your question. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is an important part of being an expert on JustAnswer, and I strive for excellence.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience