Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I payed taxes and lived in Utah Jan and Feb. I got another

I payed taxes and lived in Utah Jan and Feb. I got another job and moved to TX to get job training but I am paying taxes to Louisiana (where I was headed after job training). Now, instead of moving to Louisiana I am headed to Pennsylvania and I don't have an address there and yet my employer wants me to fill out an income tax form for Pennsylvania. Where... do I pay taxes? I would like to pay no taxes for the time I am living in TX. So... I paid taxes to a state I don't and will not live in, I have to start paying taxes to a state I haven't yet but will live in, and currently live in a state that I don't pay taxes to but wouldn't have to pay taxes to. Non military.

help...
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

You will pay taxes in the state in which you live, so you will pay tax to Utah for January and February.

MyVirtualCPA :

You should not pay tax to Louisiana because you did not live or work there.

MyVirtualCPA :

You will not pay state taxes in the period in which you lived in Texas

MyVirtualCPA :

and you will pay tax to Pennsylvania once you live or work there.

MyVirtualCPA :

You will be able to get a refund of the taxes you paid to Louisiana.

Customer:

So my employer has it wrong even though I am not there yet. Where can I reference this information so that I can get it changed?

MyVirtualCPA :

They are probably wanting to get you set up for when you do move there

Customer:

I don't have an address there yet and PA has cities that collect income taxes and I haven't decided which city to live.

MyVirtualCPA :

Once you do you will fill out the proper tax form

MyVirtualCPA :

Tax isn't due unless you live or work there

Customer:

I guess they are saying that I work out of there... like moving my "home base"

Customer:

from Louisiana to Pennsylvania

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, they have to get you set up. When are you moving?

Customer:

August

MyVirtualCPA :

You will owe tax to PA starting in August

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with

Customer:

I need a reference to show them so they stop taking out taxes

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/personal_income_tax/11409/nonresidents___part-year_residents_instructions/580655

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer:

received and realized from sources within PA when they were not a PA residents

Customer:

what does this part mean?

MyVirtualCPA :

It means you don't live in PA, but earn money from a PA source

Customer:

and because of that.... I have to pay PA taxes even though I don't live there?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, if you receive income from that source

Customer:

so my "home base was/is being changed to PA I now have to pay taxes there instead of LA...?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is what it seems

Customer:

so your previous assessment is incorrect?

MyVirtualCPA :

No

MyVirtualCPA :

You pay PA tax on income you earn while living there (regardless of what state it's earned in) or in that state

Customer:

ok, so My employer has me working in texas out of an office in pa.... and from what it says I guess they could figure that they earn out of PA so I guess they can tax it.

Customer:

can I claim that I don't get taxed because I physically live in texas and haven't even got an address in PA

MyVirtualCPA :

You could make that argument, yes

Customer:

what is correct then?

Customer:

is it open to interpretation?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes. Open to interpretation.

MyVirtualCPA :

Does your employer have an office in Texas?

Customer:

which is IRS speak for "Audit me please"

Customer:

yes

MyVirtualCPA :

This has nothing to do with the IRS

Customer:

I know.

MyVirtualCPA :

If your employer has an office in Texas, and you are working in Texas then you are not working in PA and no PA tax is due

Customer:

I made that argument also...

Customer:

:(

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry

Customer:

They

MyVirtualCPA :

I know it's frustrating

Customer:

they've already taken a grand out in taxes... would sure be nice to have...

Customer:

thanks for your help... even though "open to interpretation" means that I have to file it correctly next year and make it all right.

MyVirtualCPA :

Well when you file the tax return you can get the funds back

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

um... with interest? I think not...

Customer:

thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

No you will not get interest unless they do not pay you the funds back by the tax deadline

Customer:

hahahah... put this $38 bucks to good use and lobby for easier tax code... g'night

MyVirtualCPA :

Night

MyVirtualCPA :

Please take a moment to rate my response as 'excellent' as that is how I receive credit for helping you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level