Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

My wife and I are US citizens and live in New York State. My

My wife and I are US citizens and live in New York State. My wife’s mother is elderly and is a citizen of and lives in the UK. When she dies my wife will likely receive a modest amount after her estate is settled ($60,000). Will we need to pay any inheritance tax to the state of NY or the federal government?.

Robin D : Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,You say the mother is a citizen do you mean of the UK as well as resident there?
Robin D : There would be no tax and no reporting for US purposes if the mother is not a US person and no US property is involved.
Customer: Yes she is a citizen and resident of the uk
Robin D : If the amount was over $100,000 then your wife would need to report it
Robin D : but as long as it is under $100,000 no reporting on form 3520 is even required.
Robin D : No inheritance tax at all
Customer: Thanks
Robin D : Your positive rating is always thanks enough.
Robin D : If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.