How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13968
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a CPA do my taxes for my S-Corporation. In April, I

This answer was rated:

I have a CPA do my taxes for my S-Corporation. In April, I received a letter from the IRS with a Penalty for Failure to File S Corporation Return. I informed my CPA about this, and he said that he would handle it. However, my CPA kept putting it off, and I don't think he ever spoke with the IRS. The deadline to pay the penalty was May 13. Today (May 22) the post office left me a note that they attempted to deliver a certified letter from the IRS. I'm guessing that it is because my CPA still has not addressed this issue. What can I do? I should not be responsible for paying the penalties and interest, since I turned in my tax information to my CPA in January.

Robin D : Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,You should first go get the letter from the post office. Then contact your CPA. If your CPA had the information to complete the S corp filing and did not then they should assume the responsibility.If you feel that your CPA has not followed through with their responsibilities you should contact the Kentucky Society of CPAs.
Robin D :
Robin D : The society has strict regulations for their members
Robin D : You can contact them by Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
Robin D : I agree with you when you state you should not be responsible especially if the CPA had all they needed to complete the work.
Robin D : Can you actually view my posts?
Robin D : I hate to switch to regular Q &A if you can really see my posts in CHAT
Robin D : because
Robin D : we will not be able to switch back to CHAT and talk real time.
Robin D : If you have a small S corp (10 or less shareholders) your CPA can request an abatement for the penalty. Perhaps they did this and the letter is in response to the request.
Robin D : Let me know if you wish to add more.
Robin D. and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I switched to Q&A so you could view the post.