Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Hello sir, I hate to bother you. But I just recently googled

Hello sir, I hate to bother you. But I just recently googled ACS Support, and I found out it's the collection department for the IRS. I do owe them money, but I have a tax firm working on getting my bill down to a lot less. But in the mean time I keep getting threatening letters from the IRS, telling me they are going to levy on my property. Can they still send me certified letters while I have a case going on? Please let me know. My email [email protected] Thank you, Sean

Robin D : Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,The IRS will certainly continue to send you notices advising of the tax debt and their steps available to collect even if you are working with a private company. Until the IRS receives your Offer In Compromise (if that is what you meant by working to get the amount down) they will not and are not required to stop.
Robin D : An offer in compromise allows you to settle your tax debt for less than the full amount you owe. This may be what the company has advised you to do.
Robin D : Before the IRS can consider your offer, you must be current with all filing and payment requirements. You are not eligible if you are in an open bankruptcy proceeding.
Robin D : Despite what you may hear in advertisements, the OIC program is not for everyone. IRS will not accept an offer if you have the ability to pay the debt in full, through installment payments, or by some other means.
Robin D : Please make sure that the company that is assisting you is reputable.
Robin D : The IRS may file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien during the offer investigation. The IRS may file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien to protect the Government's interest on offers that will be paid over time. This tax lien will be released when the payment terms of the accepted offer have been satisfied.
Robin D : I hope this information is helpful.