Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

A taxpayer owns land with oil drilling rights in Tioga County,

A taxpayer owns land with oil drilling rights in Tioga County, Pennsylvania. The land is purchased 6/30/09 & sold 7/16/12. The taxpayer is a PA resident from 6/30/09 - 5/17/12, at which time he relocates to Florida. There is a large capital gain on the sale. Is the entire capital gain reported on his PA return & subject to PA tax?

NPVAdvisor : OK, (Don't shoot the messenger here) :)
NPVAdvisor : From PA dept. of revenue:
NPVAdvisor : Part-Year Residents of Pennsylvania. Part-year residents are subject to PA personal income tax on all income earned, received and realized from all sources when residents of PA. Part-year residents are also subject to PA tax on income earned, received and realized from sources within PA when they were not a PA residents. Part-year residents are not subject to PA tax on ordinary interest, dividends, gains, intangible property or gambling and lottery winnings from PA sources while a nonresident.
NPVAdvisor : hey, I just re-read the LAST sentence ...
NPVAdvisor : Part-year residents are not subject to PA tax on ordinary interest, dividends, gains, intangible property or gambling and lottery winnings from PA sources while a nonresident.
NPVAdvisor : Looks like you're OK
NPVAdvisor : You are part year, but by 7/16/12 you were not a resident, and gains are excluded !
NPVAdvisor : See this:
NPVAdvisor : http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/personal_income_tax/11409/nonresidents___part-year_residents_instructions/580655
NPVAdvisor : Let me know of you have questions
NPVAdvisor : Lane
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure that gains include capital gains?

This is a direct quote (changed only by what I'll underline):

" Part-year residents are not subject to PA tax on ordinary interest, dividends, gains, intangible property or gambling and lottery winnings from PA sources while a nonresident."

You have them here ... any reasonable person would interpret that to say that the gain is not taxed if the gain happened while you as a part year resident were not a resident of PA anymore.

You could call to double check, but this has been published to the public and would hold up under scrutiny. I would certainly point them to this if you do.

Capital gains are gains.

Interest, dividends earned income and pension income are income.

Hi Scott.

One of the other types on income I didn't mention is royalty, but yes gains means capital gains.

Gains IS the more general term.

Had they specified a type of gain, that would be different.

For example, a distinction IS made between ordinary and capital gains.

But PA's literature specifies the more general gain (so even short-term gains would be included).

Positive feedback appreciated. :)

Lane

Thanks Scott ..... Again!

Let me know if I can help again.

Again, just say "For Lane Only."

Thanks much,
Lane