Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

I own a piece of land that is basically an easement. It was

I own a piece of land that is basically an easement. It was never given a value. It has no improvements and can never be built on. The town is assessing it as useable land. It is solely a path. This property is in NY 11780
How do I present my grievance?

Stephen G : Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.
Stephen G : I've run into this exact case in the past.
Stephen G : This first thing is that admitting that their is some value to an easement. Certain easements given to utilities to run their lines or pipes to provide service, generally have minimal value as although their is a continuing usage of the easement to provide the utility service, their generally is no reduction in value of a particular property due to that type of easement. In fact the easement may (& usually does) enhance the value of the underlying property.
Stephen G : When it comes to private easements granted for various purposes, the easement's value usually depends upon what the access is for. For example, access to a beach or a dock over another's property is generally one of the most valuable easements you can hold.
Stephen G : So, depending upon what your situation is (ie. what access is made possible by the easement), will have an impact on the best approach that may result in a reduction in the assessment you are dealing with.
Stephen G : In the situation that I am familiar with, the town attached a substantial value to an easement granted to all the lots withing a subdivision that provided access to a salt water beach; that easement substantially increased the initial and future marketability of all the lots in the subdivision, except the one over which the easement was granted.
Stephen G : You really can't "fight" the assessment without an appraisal. Our approach was to obtain an appraisal of the property that was subject to the easement and assert that the town did not reduce that property's assessment to account for the easement. We were able to show that similar properties' assessments, within the subdivision were comparable to the property with the easement and therefore, in the town's previous assessments, no value was assigned to the easement by reducing that property's assessment when compared to other properties' assessments within the subdivision.
Stephen G : Does this assist you in formulating a possible approach to your circumstances?
Stephen G : If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance; Thanks very much, Steve G.