How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lane, JD, CFP, MBA Your Own Question

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6448
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nonresident alien "j-1" Source of income non US have a SSN

Resolved Question:

Nonresident alien "j-1"
Source of income non US
have a SSN with cannot work without dhs authorization
would like to hire a nanny. Monthly payment of 2000 for 12 months.
1) Do I need to pay household taxes?
2) Do I need to file for EIN or ITIN and what are the steps required?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane, JD, CFP, MBA replied 2 years ago.

NPVAdvisor : Yes, first make sure that person can legally work in the United States by examining their documentation and filling out Form I-9. You can get the I-9 Form online or by calling 1-800-870-3676.
NPVAdvisor : Agree with your nanny about whether you, the employer, will withhold federal income tax. You are not required to do so, but any change to the agreement must be in writin
NPVAdvisor : Check with your state about whether you will owe state employment taxes.
NPVAdvisor : Decide whether you are going to pay your nanny's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes, or deduct it from her pay. Explain the decision to your nanny. If you agreed on an hourly rate of pay without discussing the nanny tax, and deduct employment taxes, she might be surprised to find a lower amount in her paycheck that she expects.
NPVAdvisor : Medicare and Social Security taxes amount to 15.3 percent of her pay. Half of that is the employee's share, which you withhold from each paycheck (or pay yourself, if that's how you decide to handle it). You, the employer, send both halves of the tax to the federal government.
NPVAdvisor : Decide how you will pay the nanny tax. One choice is to ask your own employer (or your spouse's employer) to withhold more from your wages in order to cover household employment taxes. Or, you can make estimated tax payments to the IRS each quarter. Another option is to pay the nanny tax on April 15 with your income tax, but if the amount is large enough you might be subject to penalties.
NPVAdvisor : Keep records of all payments to your household employees, whether cash or check.
NPVAdvisor : At the end of the calendar year, add up all the money you've paid your nanny.
NPVAdvisor : Before February, contact the IRS to be assigned an employer identification number. You can call(NNN) NNN-NNNN apply online, apply by fax or apply via mail.
NPVAdvisor : too apply online go here:
NPVAdvisor :
NPVAdvisor : On Form W-2, put the employee's Social Security Number in box a. Put your employer identification number in box b. Put your name and address in box c. Put your employee's name and address in box e.
NPVAdvisor : On Form W-2, write the total wages you paid boxes 3 and 5. (For the purposes of this example, I assume that you decided to pay your nanny's share of the taxes rather than withhold from her paycheck.) Multiply the total wages by 6.2 percent and write the answer in box 4. This is the employee's share of Social Security tax. If you also withheld federal income tax, it should go in box 2.
NPVAdvisor : ow, multiply the total wages (box 3) by 1.45 percent and write the answer in box 6. This is the employee's share of Medicare taxes. Add together the figures in boxes 2, 3, 4 and 6 and put the total in box 1.If you're worried about your math, the instructions for Schedule H contain a useful example with the boxes filled in.
NPVAdvisor : Here:
NPVAdvisor :
NPVAdvisor : Copy the information onto the duplicate copies of Form W-2
NPVAdvisor : You're ready to give Form W-2 to your nanny. (Keep Copy A for yourself.)
NPVAdvisor : On Form W-3, copy the numbered boxes from Form W-2 into the corresponding boxes. (Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX making the numbers the same!) Fill in your name, address, phone number and employer identification number. Check the box that says "Hshld.emp." to indicate that you're a household employer. Sign and date the form.
NPVAdvisor : Before March, send Form W-3 and Copy A of Form W-2 to the Social Security Administration.
NPVAdvisor : By April 15, file Schedule H with your federal income tax return (Form 1040). The figures on Schedule H for Medicare and Social Security taxes should be double the figures on the W2, because you're paying the employee's share plus the employer's share.
NPVAdvisor : .
NPVAdvisor : That's it!
NPVAdvisor : Here's an excellent article on the subject:
NPVAdvisor :
NPVAdvisor : And here's the IRS guidance:
NPVAdvisor :
Customer: My employer is from outside the us thus I dont get any taxes withheld here and I Dont pay any taxes
NPVAdvisor : This should giver yu EVERYTHING you need ... Feel free to bookmark and/or print this page
NPVAdvisor : THis has nothing to do with YOUR taxes
NPVAdvisor : This is all about paying the taxes that must be paid regarding the nanny
NPVAdvisor : Again, you can decide with the nanny about whether YOU withhold or you simply report, so thaty SHE can be compliant
NPVAdvisor : I think ig you go back and read this ,... step by step, it has EVERYTHING you'll need all the steps AND links to other help are there
Customer: and in that case I only have to pay taxes pertaining my nanny not mine
NPVAdvisor : That's right
NPVAdvisor : We're talking about paying HER social security and incme tax
NPVAdvisor : Your situation won't change at all
Customer: what documents to I need to provide for I-9
NPVAdvisor : BUT not paying the nanny tax ... HER taxes have comes under much scrutiny ;ate;y
NPVAdvisor : just a second
NPVAdvisor : Here's the site with the I=9, W2 and W3 yiu'll need
NPVAdvisor :
NPVAdvisor : .
NPVAdvisor : I-9:
NPVAdvisor :
NPVAdvisor : .
NPVAdvisor : W-2:
NPVAdvisor :
NPVAdvisor : .
NPVAdvisor : W-3:
NPVAdvisor :
Customer: I have a foriegn passport and I-94 but I dont understand the second section where it says "endorsement of the alien non immigrant status as long as that period did not expired and the proposed employment in not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations?
NPVAdvisor : If you'll use the 7 or 8 steps above as a checklist, you'll be fine
NPVAdvisor : sorry just saw your last post
NPVAdvisor : you're just saying that the persons papers are in order and have not expired ... that the person is allowed to work here and is not an illegal alien
NPVAdvisor : RO that the person is a US citizen if that is the case
Customer: I see thank you very much .. how can I print this conversation
NPVAdvisor : sorry for the typo (OR that the person is a US citizen)
NPVAdvisor : either "file-print" from your browser OR you can copy and paste the whole thing into a document ALSO you can just bookmark (save this as a favorite) page
NPVAdvisor : the url and the links will stay active
Customer: as an employer is there any document I need to present together with I-9 or when applying to EIN?
NPVAdvisor : no, you can do this online here: ...
NPVAdvisor : If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better. That's the only way they will pay us here.
NPVAdvisor : HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question.
Customer: That is very helpful thanks my friend..I rated u as excellent
NPVAdvisor : Thank you so much! Good luck with everything.
NPVAdvisor : Lane
Customer: thanks
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6448
Experience: Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Lane, JD, CFP, MBA replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for the rating Ahmed.

If you'd like to use ME again just say "For Lane only" at the beginning of your next question...OR

... just go here: NPVAdvisor

And enter your question in the question box

Thanks again,


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience