Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am a US citizen, but live and work overseas. I spent 8 months

I am a US citizen, but live and work overseas. I spent 8 months per year abroad. I do not own or rent apartment in VA, but rent it abroad.

Do I qualify for foreign housing exclusion? Do I have to pay VA income tax (as I used to live there)? What is foreign income exemption and whether I qualify for this?

Welcome and thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your tax question.

The IRS criteria to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is as follows:

To claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, or the foreign housing deduction, you must have foreign earned income, your tax home must be in a foreign country, and you must be one of the following:

• A U.S. citizen who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year,
  • A U.S. resident alien who is a citizen or national of a country with which the United States has an income tax treaty in effect and who is a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year, or
  • A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.

My point of reference as well as additional information can be found here: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion---Requirements

Based on this information, it does not appear that you would qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. Thank you.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to put "for bkb1956" in the subject line, and I will be happy to assist you. Thank you and best regards.