Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Hello. In general, my income is not high enough to owe taxes.

Hello. In general, my income is not high enough to owe taxes. For four years I held on to a gas royalty check for a considerable sum (enough to have to pay income tax), having it re-issued each year, until cashing it in 2012. As a result, the gas company issued 1099's showing that income each year, as if I received that income 4 times, instead of once. The IRS now believes that I owe more taxes than I do and is asking for my returns for those years. My understanding is that I was to declare that income the first year, when I first received the check. However, I believe it would actually work out better for me to declare it for 2012, when I actually cashed the check. Do I have a choice? If so, which year should I declare the royalty income? What would be the best way to handle this? How do I go about getting new, corrected 1099's? It is my understanding that 3-year income averaging (which would benefit me) has been disallowed since 1980's...is this correct? I believe I need to revise previous years' returns, and have yet to file 2012 (asked for extension). Thank you for your attention and assistance.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA : Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.
MyVirtualCPA : You would owe tax on this the first year you got the check.
MyVirtualCPA : You will need to show the IRS that you only received the amount once, perhaps by showing the correspondence you had with the gas company where you asked for a check to be reissued.
MyVirtualCPA : Income averaging is disallowed.
MyVirtualCPA : You pay tax on income when you have access to it. You had access to this first four years ago
MyVirtualCPA : Is there anything else that I can assist you with today? If not, please rate my response Excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
Customer: Very helpful. Is it possible to get 1099's re-issued with corrections? And is the company required to do so if requested? There was no correspondence with the gas company, as it was done by phone. Thanks.
MyVirtualCPA : You can get a 1099 corrected. They will send the 1099 form to the government, and check the box which says "corrected" - however there's no requirement that they do this. It's just good business practice.
MyVirtualCPA : Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level