Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Im using TurboTax. I received a 1099C (cancelled debt income)

I'm using TurboTax. I received a 1099C (cancelled debt income) and claimed it as income on line 21 Other Income on my Federal. However, on my CA State it doesn't use this as income, it subtracts it, bringing my taxes down to "0". This cancellation of debt was for property in ID not CA. Is it correct that the CA doesn't tax this?
Thank you for using justanswer.

Turbo Tax is correct on this issue, since CA does not tax rental income from other states, it would not tax your cancellation of debt from other states.

You may need to file ID state tax though.

I truly hope this information is helpful but please do not rate until you are satisfied. If you want to click on 1 or 2 just click on the continue to work with me button instead. You will then be able to add any other info or respond to what I have posted so far. Rating 3-5 gives me credit and a good rating but you can still converse with me.

Thank you for the excellent rating and your generous bonus!

Please feel free to ask for me by name if I can help you in the future.